sccooke Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1639 views

Creating users

Hi
I've been told to go and replace our server operating systems and mail servers.
So I figured OES2 SP1 and GW8.(Currently on Netware 6.5 and GW6)
Now I've installed OES and GW8 and its working OK, the only thing that gets to me is that it seems for eDirectory you're supposed to work in iManager, but for GW you have to work in consoleOne, so now I have to create the user in iManager and then go to Consoleone to configure the user for GW.
I know that I can do it all through C1, but I thought Novell were moving away from C1.
It just all seems a bit backward to me, or am I missing something.

Thanks
Steven
Labels (2)
0 Likes
12 Replies
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Creating users

sccooke wrote:

> It just all seems a bit backward to me, or am I missing something.


You're not missing anything. GroupWise cannot be managed though iManager.

--
Danita
Time to upgrade to GW8!
http://www.caledonia.net/gw8upg.html
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Creating users

DZanre wrote:
> sccooke wrote:
>
>> It just all seems a bit backward to me, or am I missing something.

>
> You're not missing anything. GroupWise cannot be managed though iManager.


Any ideas on when *that* bug is scheduled for fixing? 🙂

Paul
0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Creating users

Paul Gear wrote:

> Any ideas on when *that* bug is scheduled for fixing? 🙂


Honestly, my guess is never 🙂 - iManager isn't a good match for GW - not
saying they never will, but it will, but I would prefer it didn't myself!

--
Danita
Time to upgrade to GW8!
http://www.caledonia.net/gw8upg.html
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Creating users

DZanre wrote:
> Paul Gear wrote:
>
>> Any ideas on when *that* bug is scheduled for fixing? 🙂

>
> Honestly, my guess is never 🙂 - iManager isn't a good match for GW - not
> saying they never will, but it will, but I would prefer it didn't myself!


The ridiculous steps that we must go through to get a GroupWise Linux
server manageable from Windows suggest that *something* better than
ConsoleOne and file sharing must be found eventually...

Paul
0 Likes
sccooke Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Creating users

OK, thanks for the response, just seems to me if they want to catch up to MS, one of the most basic things they need to do is is have something where everything can be controlled from one place like in active directory.
0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Creating users

Paul Gear wrote:

> The ridiculous steps that we must go through to get a GroupWise Linux
> server manageable from Windows suggest that *something* better than
> ConsoleOne and file sharing must be found eventually...


Have you read this? I know that these are a number of "steps", but they
seem logical to me, so maybe you're trying to do something more difficult:

http://www.caledonia.net/blog/?p=143

--
Danita
Time to upgrade to GW8!
http://www.caledonia.net/gw8upg.html
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Creating users

In a bit of a rush aren't you? Some of us remember the days when we had to use syscon, NWAdmin, and ConsoleOne, each for a different function.

Keep in mind, this is Novell, they've not been known for the "rush" to finish admin tool adoption.


>>> Paul Gear<novell@libertysys.com.au> 2/26/2009 2:36 PM >>>

DZanre wrote:

> sccooke wrote:
>

>> It just all seems a bit backward to me, or am I missing something.

>
> You're not missing anything. GroupWise cannot be managed though iManager.


Any ideas on when *that* bug is scheduled for fixing? 🙂

Paul
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Creating users

Herb Parsons wrote:
> ...
> Keep in mind, this is Novell, they've not been known for the "rush" to
> finish admin tool adoption.


That's precisely why i'm hoping they learn from their past mistakes... 😉
0 Likes
cmalik Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Creating users

You can use DSRAZOR to create eDir/NDS and GroupWise accounts at the same
time. We can customize an applet so it can be a data entry screen to fill
in the items you want. This is especially helpful if you want to delegate
the user creation to someone else because the DSRAZOR applet will "dummy
proof" the process as much as possible. Some examples: the user creation
can be limited to only the specific containers you want users in, there can
be a choice of templates or always use a specific template so the person
doing the creation must use the template, choice of GroupWise post offices
or always use a specific post office, set attributes as required so they
must fill them in (phone number, title, etc), have drop-down lists that have
your values of certain attributes already defined (location, department) so
they select from the list of standard values and therefore spell them
correctly, then add them into groups or distribution lists if appropriate.
Once the user creation applet is customized to your process, you can use it
yourself or save it as a stand-alone EXE to distribute to others to use (so
they do not need ConsoleOne, iManager, or DSRAZOR). A 7-day evaluation is
available from:
http://www.visualclick.com/?source=NVsupGW8i


"sccooke" <sccooke@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:sccooke.3o7rjc@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> Hi
> I've been told to go and replace our server operating systems and mail
> servers.
> So I figured OES2 SP1 and GW8.(Currently on Netware 6.5 and GW6)
> Now I've installed OES and GW8 and its working OK, the only thing that
> gets to me is that it seems for eDirectory you're supposed to work in
> iManager, but for GW you have to work in consoleOne, so now I have to
> create the user in iManager and then go to Consoleone to configure the
> user for GW.
> I know that I can do it all through C1, but I thought Novell were
> moving away from C1.
> It just all seems a bit backward to me, or am I missing something.
>
> Thanks
> Steven
>
>
> --
> sccooke
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> sccooke's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=6257
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=362030
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Creating users

DZanre wrote:
> Paul Gear wrote:
>
>> The ridiculous steps that we must go through to get a GroupWise Linux
>> server manageable from Windows suggest that *something* better than
>> ConsoleOne and file sharing must be found eventually...

>
> Have you read this? I know that these are a number of "steps", but they
> seem logical to me, so maybe you're trying to do something more difficult:
>
> http://www.caledonia.net/blog/?p=143


There is no questioning the logic. I just think the fact that we have
to do that is a bug! Web-based administration is the only logical
choice in a multi-platform world. This is probably getting rather
off-topic now, though... 😉

Paul
0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Creating users

Paul Gear wrote:

> Web-based administration is the only logical choice in a multi-platform
> world.


Well, I don't disagree with you about that. However, the definition of a
bug is a designed function that doesn't work. Working as designed, but not
as desired is a more appropriate terminology <g>.

--
Danita
Time to upgrade to GW8!
http://www.caledonia.net/gw8upg.html
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Creating users

DZanre wrote:
> Paul Gear wrote:
>
>> Web-based administration is the only logical choice in a multi-platform
>> world.

>
> Well, I don't disagree with you about that. However, the definition of a
> bug is a designed function that doesn't work. Working as designed, but not
> as desired is a more appropriate terminology <g>.


Fair enough. Time for me to go log an enhancement request. 🙂

Paul
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.