Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DNS records for GW

As mentioned in an earlier thread we are testing a GW8 setup behind our firewall for managers at another company that we are in the process of absorbing. As it's an international domain I had the pleasure and privilege of setting up my own DNS records <g> using godaddy.com's tools.

I provided two A records
@ and www

and three MX records
10 @
20 @
30 @

all pointing to my ADSL ip

In testing we are seing a lot of 420 and 450 errors. I suspect the other company is obstructing us with the firewall but thought I'd check

Does GW expose subdomains? like smtp.domin.com or mail.domain.com? Early tests were good, but things like sending attachments seem to mess up.

Dave

Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: DNS records for GW

Dave Robinson wrote:
> As mentioned in an earlier thread we are testing a GW8 setup behind our firewall for managers at another company that we are in the process of absorbing. As it's an international domain I had the pleasure and privilege of setting up my own DNS records <g> using godaddy.com's tools.
>
> I provided two A records
> @ and www
>
> and three MX records
> 10 @
> 20 @
> 30 @
>
> all pointing to my ADSL ip

Not relevant except for RECEIVING mail. Little relevance for SENDING,
except some anti-spam measures might check them.

>
> In testing we are seing a lot of 420 and 450 errors. I suspect the other company is obstructing us with the firewall but thought I'd check

Possibly. That's sending mail. DNS lookups and timeouts.
>
> Does GW expose subdomains? like smtp.domin.com or mail.domain.com? Early tests were good, but things like sending attachments seem to mess up.

Define "expose". The word has no context, meaning, or relevance.
>
> Dave
>
>

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Yeah, thought I'd said earlier these are people OUTSIDE our firewall using the server INSIDE the firewall to send messages out again......
They therefore need DNS to find us in the first place.

> I provided two A records
> @ and www
>

Works now, apparently www is best set up as an alias rather than an A record

> and three MX records
> 10 @

>>Not relevant except for RECEIVING mail. Little relevance for SENDING,
>>except some anti-spam measures might check them.

see above, and yes the last piece of the puzzle was getting the domain whitelisted by the example site with which we were having difficulty.

>
> Does GW expose subdomains? like smtp.domin.com or mail.domain.com? Early tests were good, but things like sending attachments seem to mess up.

>>Define "expose". The word has no context, meaning, or relevance.

Some mail hosts point MX records at subdomains.
example: If I take mail from a pop3 server I typically have to connect to pop.domain.com and send to smtp.domain.com.

How is that without context, meaning or relevance?

😉

Dave

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Dave Robinson wrote:
> Yeah, thought I'd said earlier these are people OUTSIDE our firewall using the server INSIDE the firewall to send messages out again......
> They therefore need DNS to find us in the first place.
>
>> I provided two A records
>> @ and www
>>

>
> Works now, apparently www is best set up as an alias rather than an A record
>
>
>> and three MX records
>> 10 @

> ...

Believe it or not, we don't have time to lookup and reference earlier
threads.

>
>>> Not relevant except for RECEIVING mail. Little relevance for SENDING,
>>> except some anti-spam measures might check them.

>
> see above, and yes the last piece of the puzzle was getting the domain whitelisted by the example site with which we were having difficulty.

good
>
>
>> Does GW expose subdomains? like smtp.domin.com or mail.domain.com? Early tests were good, but things like sending attachments seem to mess up.

>
>>> Define "expose". The word has no context, meaning, or relevance.

>
> Some mail hosts point MX records at subdomains.
> example: If I take mail from a pop3 server I typically have to connect to pop.domain.com and send to smtp.domain.com.
>
> How is that without context, meaning or relevance?
>

It is, but whatever. They don't expose it. What happens is someone
defines A records for each of those and the firewall port forwards to
the handling mta.

I do think it can be good practice if you think you'll ever go multi
gwia in the future. Otherwise it isn't necessary.

In short:

A Record for pop3.domain.com could also point to the public ip of GWIA.
etc...

> 😉
>
> Dave
>
>
>

0 Likes
Absent Member.

thanks
D

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.