Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DPI Scaling on GW Client

Ok, this is possibly not a problem for large number of users. BUT, when using MS remote desktop from a high resolution tablet like Surface Pro 4 to access a machine running Groupwise client the client program appears TINY, and unreadable. The Surface runs in 2160 x 1440 resolution. Changing compatability settings for Groupwise in Win 10 make no difference if you select "Override high DPI scaling behavior ..." or any of the other display modification tools.

Microsoft says to avoid such problems "Use or deploy Universal Windows Platform (UWP) applications instead of Win32 applications." ... My guess is that the reason other programs like Word and Excel scale correctly is that they are UWP apps, and Groupwise client is Win32 or some other ancient application type.

Please advise if there is a solution to this annoyance? My guess no, but curious.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: DPI Scaling on GW Client

In article <dholub.7zz9g0@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Dholub wrote:
> Microsoft says to avoid such problems "Use or deploy Universal Windows
> Platform (UWP) applications instead of Win32 applications." ... My
> guess is that the reason other programs like Word and Excel scale
> correctly is that they are UWP apps, and Groupwise client is Win32 or
> some other ancient application type.
>
> Please advise if there is a solution to this annoyance? My guess no, but
> curious.

"Best Practise" is just a snapshot in time, with this showing the
collision of such "Best Practises" That perpetual letting the tail wag
the dog that can be the upgrade process. Perhaps time for and Idea that
the client be migrated to this new platform
https://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/novell-gw

How about running the GroupWise client on the Surface in caching mode?

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks. Not interested in running the Client from Tablet, but that would definitely address problem.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So here the problem is well described:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3025083/windows-scaling-issues-for-high-dpi-devices

Groupwise is "per-monitor aware". This means it senses the high res monitor on the Surface Pro (which I do not want it to do) and makes itself tiny and unreadable.

Word and Excel on the other hand are "system aware" which means they pay no attention to the high resolution monitor of the surface.

Per-Monitor Aware: Per-monitor DPI-aware. These applications check for the DPI when they are started, and adjusts the scale factor whenever the DPI value changes. These applications are not automatically scaled by the system.

System Aware: System DPI-aware. These applications do not scale for DPI changes. They query for the DPI one time, and then use that value for the lifetime of the application. If the DPI changes, the application does not adjust to the new DPI value. It will be automatically scaled up or down by the system when the DPI changes from the system value.

Unaware: DPI-unaware. These applications do not scale for DPI changes. They are always assumed to have a scale factor of 100 percent (96 DPI). These applications are automatically scaled by the system at any other DPI settings.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Solved this problem. Very easy. On Windows 10 use Gpedit.msc to edit maximum display resolution on remote desktop connection. For example, screen resolution is fine limited to 1920 x 1080.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.