Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1006 views

Dedicated Database Maintenance POA

Hi,

My default maintenance job (Default POA Mailbox/Library Maintenance), that starts at midnight, runs well into the next day. This causes slow downs in the GW client. To alleviate the symptoms, I'm trying to setup a dedicated database maintenance POA. I have followed the instructions outlined in the following document: Novell Documentation

I however cannot get this to work correctly. The issue I'm having is that the maintenance now runs on both POA's, instead of just the new POA.

On the existing POA, I disabled all the scheduled events and also disabled 'Automatic Database Recovery'. On the new POA, I configured the following:
* disable 'Perform User Upkeep'
* disable 'Generate Address Book for Remote'
* In the agent settings tab, I deselected 'Enable Client/Server'. The document states that the 'Client/Server Handler Threads' have to be set to '0', but '1' is the lowest setting possible
* disable 'QuickFinder Indexing'
* add the /name switch to the POA startup file (on both POA's)

I then installed the POA software on another server. Everything starts up fine and I see no errors in the logs.

I also see that the new POA handles some message traffic. I only want to use it for DB maintenance. But when I turn of 'Message File Processing' on the new POA, I no longer see the scheduled jobs in the POA web interface.

I also rebuild the PO and Domain database, but it didn't help.

Any ideas on how to get the new POA to just handle maintenance and the existing just to handle the other stuff?

Our system:
GW803 HP1
Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1


Thanks,

Iwan
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Dedicated Database Maintenance POA

Some more info:

The structural verification of system databases, that is part of the "Default POA Mailbox/Library Maintenance", runs just on the new dedicated POA. The original POA does nothing. Once this check is completed, it will continue with the contents verification part of the previously scheduled job. At this stage the original POA will also start database maintenance. So now both POA are doing maintenance.

Any ideas as how to stop the original POA from doing DB maintenance?

Iwan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Dedicated Database Maintenance POA

In my previous post I said that the contents verification triggers the original POA to also start the DB maintenance, but looking closer is look like it's the Index Check that triggers it.

Iwan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Dedicated Database Maintenance POA

On 26.03.2013 13:56, iwan wrote:
>
> In my previous post I said that the contents verification triggers the
> original POA to also start the DB maintenance, but looking closer is
> look like it's the Index Check that triggers it.


I'm afraid your attempt for a solution to your problem is flawed, and
will not work.

Special purpose POAs, for indexing or database maintenance are a thing
from the past, where local processing power on servers often was
valuable and weak. On modern multi-core GHz servers, these generally do
nothing useful, often quite the opposite.

Identifay why your scheduled checks run so long (they shouldn't), and
why they interfere with client access when they run during daytime (they
shouldn't either). You may simply be running against some unusual
bottleneck somewhere (e.g a solveable performance problem), or you're
just plain overloading your current system, e.g when your PO is *huge*
with a huge number of users. In that case your solution is to split
those up.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Dedicated Database Maintenance POA

mrosen;2254791 wrote:
On 26.03.2013 13:56, iwan wrote:
>
> In my previous post I said that the contents verification triggers the
> original POA to also start the DB maintenance, but looking closer is
> look like it's the Index Check that triggers it.


I'm afraid your attempt for a solution to your problem is flawed, and
will not work.

Special purpose POAs, for indexing or database maintenance are a thing
from the past, where local processing power on servers often was
valuable and weak. On modern multi-core GHz servers, these generally do
nothing useful, often quite the opposite.

Identifay why your scheduled checks run so long (they shouldn't), and
why they interfere with client access when they run during daytime (they
shouldn't either). You may simply be running against some unusual
bottleneck somewhere (e.g a solveable performance problem), or you're
just plain overloading your current system, e.g when your PO is *huge*
with a huge number of users. In that case your solution is to split
those up.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
Untitled Document


Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I guess your right. There are no evident problems with the PO. It just takes a long time to do the check (from 00:00 to 14:00). It must be the size of the Post Office. We have about 800 mailboxes in our Post Office and about 250GB of mail data.

I will look into splitting it up.

Iwan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Dedicated Database Maintenance POA

Hi.

On 27.03.2013 11:06, iwan wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I guess your right. There are no evident
> problems with the PO. It just takes a long time to do the check (from
> 00:00 to 14:00). It must be the size of the Post Office. We have about
> 800 mailboxes in our Post Office and about 250GB of mail data.


Only the 250GB play a role for the check, and 14 hours is *way* too long
for a PO that size, even for a full content check (which you really
shouldn't run daily)

So I still think you have a bottleneck somewhere, possibly disk related.
And you may check what your scheduled maintenance is configured to do. A
full content check is more then enough once a week or even once a month.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Dedicated Database Maintenance POA

mrosen;2254967 wrote:
Hi.

On 27.03.2013 11:06, iwan wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I guess your right. There are no evident
> problems with the PO. It just takes a long time to do the check (from
> 00:00 to 14:00). It must be the size of the Post Office. We have about
> 800 mailboxes in our Post Office and about 250GB of mail data.


Only the 250GB play a role for the check, and 14 hours is *way* too long
for a PO that size, even for a full content check (which you really
shouldn't run daily)

So I still think you have a bottleneck somewhere, possibly disk related.
And you may check what your scheduled maintenance is configured to do. A
full content check is more then enough once a week or even once a month.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
Untitled Document


Hi,

I tweaked the maintenance schedules and only run a full check once a week now. So for now the slow downs are under control. The server has very good specs and fast SAS 15K disks. So I don't think it's a disk problem. If you say the full check shouldn't take so long, I will do some more digging. The full check does the structure, index and contents check. Could it be the index check that is time consuming?

Iwan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Dedicated Database Maintenance POA

In article <iwan.5syvao@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Iwan wrote:
> The full check does the structure, index and contents
> check. Could it be the index check that is time consuming?
>

Its the Contents check that takes the most time, and as such shouldn't
be a daily thing. That Index check is relatively quick.

If you have an antivirus running on that box, it might be worth
disabling it from watching the GroupWise folders as that would
certainly slow things down and might even corrupt data. Unless the
antivirus expressly supports GroupWise, it can't do you any good.


Andy Konecny
Knowledge Partner (voluntary SysOp)
KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75037


___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.