reschkevito Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2635 views

Delayed Messages after SMTP Relay Host wasn't reachable

We have sometimes the problem to reach the smtp host of our isp.
After reboot the host is reachable again, but all messages (10-15 messages) send in the downtime are still in the delayed message queue and it takes serveral hours until the queue is completly processed and all messages are send. How can i accelerate the sending process?

Best Regards
Marcel Reschke
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Delayed Messages after SMTP Relay Host wasn't reachable

Hi,

reschkevito wrote:
>
> We have sometimes the 'problem to reach the smtp host of our isp'
> (http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/open-enterprise-server/oes-linux/oes-l-networking/397674-suddenly-cant-reach-specific-host-specific-port.html)).
>
> After reboot the host is reachable again, but all messages (10-15
> messages) send in the downtime are still in the delayed message queue
> and it takes serveral hours until the queue is completly processed and
> all messages are send. How can i accelerate the sending process?


Short of moving the files manually from the defer to the sent queue, you
can't.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Delayed Messages after SMTP Relay Host wasn't reachable

You can move the messages from the defer directory to the send directory
manually if you wish

Cheers Dave


--
Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Delayed Messages after SMTP Relay Host wasn't reachable

Several hours? You can decrease the defer time so it tries every 5 or 10 or
20 minutes. Note that you'll have greatly increased traffic if you have a
lot of emails getting deferred multiple times.

But otherwise, if you set the defer retry time to 5 minutes, then all the
emails should be retried within 5 minutes of rebooting.

Not that I'm saying 5 minutes is a good idea. I think I have mine set to 20
minutes after the 4th retry.

Ted

>>> On 1/8/2010 at 7:54 AM, Massimo Rosen<mrosenNO@SPAMcfc-it.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> reschkevito wrote:
>>
>> We have sometimes the 'problem to reach the smtp host of our isp'
>>

>

(http://forums.novell.com/novell‑product‑support‑forums/open‑enterpr
ise‑server/oes
>

‑linux/oes‑l‑networking/397674‑suddenly‑cant‑reach‑specific‑
host‑specific‑port.html)).
>>
>> After reboot the host is reachable again, but all messages (10‑15
>> messages) send in the downtime are still in the delayed message queue
>> and it takes serveral hours until the queue is completly processed and
>> all messages are send. How can i accelerate the sending process?

>
> Short of moving the files manually from the defer to the sent queue, you
> can't.
>
> CU,

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.