Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Discussion: Non-User Mailbox Consolidation

This really isn't a support question, more of an advice seeking options question and possibly a discussion.

My organization has been notorious over the years for coming up with a limited time or possibly annual type of event which they want a special mailbox set up for, but the mailbox sits idle for the majority of the year. I'm calling it a non-user mailbox because there isn't a real user behind it, it is a mailbox set up that multiple people will proxy into and work out of. I'm curious if there is an easy concept to consolidate and use a single mailbox to function as multiple identities rather than having a single mailbox for each program. Right now I'm looking at almost 20 stand alone mailboxes with over 80 nicknames that I want to try to come up with a proposal to consolidate somehow.

What I am hoping to do is either designate or create a single mailbox for each department for their public campaigns. Ideally, what I would like to do is be able to send and receive email as the same address as the campaign from the main account which won't have the same name. For example, I would like to set up an HR@mydomain main account which the HR team would proxy into, with "nicknames" for TRAINING and EMPLOYMENT. Today with a similar setup if someone emails TRAINING or EMPLOYMENT the response will show as being from HR@mydomain. I can live with this, but if possible I would like to be able to allow staff to have an entire conversation with someone as that TRAINING or EMPLOYMENT identity.

Is GroupWise capable of doing something like this? Even if I need to use a 3rd party browser and IMAP or Mobility Services? Or if those of you that are reading this understand what I'm trying to do, what other options are there? At the end of the day, I'm trying to reduce the number of single purpose mailboxes that I'm creating and try to reduce the number of places that some of my staff have to check for messages on a daily basis just to do their jobs. Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Discussion: Non-User Mailbox Consolidation

Hi,

Firstly, I would use a Resource defined as a "Role" for this type of mailbox purpose. This will lessen the impact the mailboxes have on your licensing. The folk who have proxy rights to the Resource can subscribe to Notify alarms to be alerted to mail received.

Currently, as far as I am aware, you can't "send from" a nickname. There are several enhancement requests with regards to being able to send from different domain names, distribution lists, and the like.

I'll ponder on the rest of your question and see what ideas I come up with.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for any input.

I'm sitting at a point where I think I'm making things overly difficult, but it works. I'm just hoping that that there might have been an easier way out there.

Right now I do have a Role Resource mailbox that is the dead end for a bunch of our receive-only email addresses. On the off chance that someone wants/needs to reply as one of these accounts I figured out how to set up individual IMAP accounts using those receive-only addresses as the sending account so the message can get sent as the identity that users want it to go out as... as long as they remember to change their "From" account. Like I said, it works, but isn't pretty.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

If a user has the correct proxy access to the resource they can send mail directly from their own mailbox by clicking on the From option and selecting the Resource name. I find this a lot easier than creating IMAP accounts.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.