iliadmin1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Do you run Messenger on its own Server or typically with GW?

Just curious, not used Messenger before, but interested in implementing the 3.0 version.
Not sure how much it uses in the way of resources, and whether you should put it on its own
server or if you can run it on the same server as say Groupwise. What do people typically
do? We have a small environment of about 50 users, a few of these are remote users
who are always traveling/on the road. The local staff live in the old NWSend message
utility, so they would take to the Messenger, and it could be expanded to our remote staff
on a secure basis.

Thanks in advance, appreciate the feedback!

Kind regards,

Val

GW 2018 & Mobility Service-Version: 18.1.0 Build: 410 on SLES 12SP3, GW Client 18.02 (Build 131493) on Windows 7 64bit; server OES 11 on SLES 11 SP3; eDirectory 9.1 on SLES12SP3 and eDirectory 8.8sp8 on SLES11 SP3
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
MCCFL_MLA
New Member.

Re: Do you run Messenger on its own Server or typically with

iliadmin;2349952 wrote:
Just curious, not used Messenger before, but interested in implementing the 3.0 version.
Not sure how much it uses in the way of resources, and whether you should put it on its own
server or if you can run it on the same server as say Groupwise. What do people typically
do? We have a small environment of about 50 users, a few of these are remote users
who are always traveling/on the road. The local staff live in the old NWSend message
utility, so they would take to the Messenger, and it could be expanded to our remote staff
on a secure basis.

Thanks in advance, appreciate the feedback!

Kind regards,

Val

This may not be much help, However we run Messenger 3.0 alone on VMWARE Suse Linux install with 8GB Ram, 2 Core in a DMZ(Did the build as 12GB / 4 Core and dialed it back) . We run it alone due to the fact that we currently do not use Groupwise. Setup SSL and open LDAP Port 636 and NCP 524 to one of our LDAP servers.
0 Likes
laurabuckley Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

It is my personal experience that Messenger is so light on resources that I run it on the same server as my GroupWise system (500 users).

Here's a tip on setup though to make external access easier.... I create a dns record e.g. messenger.company.com and have both internal and external DNS records resolving to the correct IP address (internal and external). I simply use a NAT on my firewall to pass the public address through to the private address with just the Messenger port open. That way folk can move from internal to external and still access Messenger without any reconfiguration necessary. That's just how I do it - use it, don't use it!

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

laurabuckley;2349970 wrote:
It is my personal experience that Messenger is so light on resources that I run it on the same server as my GroupWise system (500 users).

+1 for that. Messenger really is that light, though it could be that the 3.0 version will require additional resources assuming more devices will be connecting to it simultaneously. Still, from what I've seen (also upto ~500 users on one server) that still should be fine when installed along with GroupWise on the same server.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
iliadmin1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, everyone! We would have only about 30 users. Does the messaging database get large?

GW 2018 & Mobility Service-Version: 18.1.0 Build: 410 on SLES 12SP3, GW Client 18.02 (Build 131493) on Windows 7 64bit; server OES 11 on SLES 11 SP3; eDirectory 9.1 on SLES12SP3 and eDirectory 8.8sp8 on SLES11 SP3
0 Likes
laurabuckley Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Val,

It's the archiving databases that you need to watch. I automatically prune/delete after 30 days. If left unchecked these will eventually eat your disk space.

If memory serves me correctly these archives are compressed and on their own are relatively small - it really depends on how much "chatting" your users do, but based on the fact that it's only 30 users I still don't see a problem.

Just a note on my setup - I create a separate NSS volume for Messenger and then setup Messenger as if it were in a cluster [even though it's not] and that way I store everything, including logs and archiving on a separate NSS volume. That way I can easily manage the disk space. I also setup Messenger on a secondary IP address on the server and reference it via DNS records. That way when I need to move/migrate Messenger to a new server I simply move the dedicated IP address with it.

Let us know how it goes and what your thoughts are around this process.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.