Kelvarr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Failure Upgrading Monitoring in GMS 2.0.1

We just completed (incompletely) upgrading our Data Synchronizer from 1.2.5.299 to GMS 2.0.1. Everything appeared to go fine for the most part, except the monitoring. The server has been tested, and data is flowing properly, but we cannot get any stats off from the Dashboard.

During the update, there is the following:

shutting down GroupWise Mobility Service... done
Updating prostgres settings... done
Restarting postgres.....failed
done
<the rest of the upgrade goes fine until...>
Updating Monitoring
Failed upgrade monitoring: Failure in: su root -c "rcpostgresql restart"
done

A reboot of the server has postgreSQL working fine. However, we can't get our monitoring working until we can let the system restart it. For what it is worth, this was a problem when we were running Data Synchronizer also.

The server originally started as a SLES10, and has been upgraded incrementally to SLES11 sp2.

Any help is appreciated. I am still a Linux newb, so I may need some help in that area also (command-wise). Thanks in advance!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Kelvarr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Failure Upgrading Monitoring in GMS 2.0.1

Ok, I apparently can't find where to update my thread either. I did some searching on the forums, and found TID 7008132. I added the following lines to my pg_hba.conf file:

local all postgres ident sameuser
host all postgres 127.0.0.1/32 ident sameuser
host all postgres ::1/128 ident sameuser

Now, what that did, was that it enabled postgresql to restart properly. What it also did was bork the rest of gms. When doing a "rcgms start", I had some errors. It said:
Checking for gms monitor: unused
Checking for gms config: running
Checking for gms engine: dead
Checking for gms web admin: running
Checking for gms agent manager: running

Seeing the "dead" on the gms engine, I removed the lines and rebooted the machine. Everything came back up so it now reads:
Checking for gms monitor: unused
Checking for gms config: running
Checking for gms engine: running
Checking for gms web admin: running
Checking for gms agent manager: running

Monitor is still unused, but I believe that is due to the update.sh script not being able to restart PostgreSQL, and erroring out on the Upgrading Monitor section.

To me, this all screams user or permissions, but I don't know where to begin for that.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Kelvarr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Update: The problem is solved!

TID 7008132 did provide the answer I needed, I just had a lack of attention to detail. I said that I had entered this data into "pg_hba.conf":

local all postgres ident sameuser
host all postgres 127.0.0.1/32 ident sameuser
host all postgres ::1/128 ident sameuser

local all all ident sameuser
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 ident sameuser
host all all ::1/128 ident sameuse

Google-ing, found this page (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html), which forced me to re-look at the "pg_hba.conf" file. I changed the 3rd column (user) from "all" to "postgres" and restarted the services. Everything worked and restarted perfectly! I then re-ran the update script (which successfully was able to restart Postgres), and it updated Monitoring. Now, when logging in, Monitoring works just fine!

I just wanted to post all of this in case anybody in the future needs help.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Thanks for posting your findings and solution... I would not have thought the monitoring page working would be related to the postgre config file like that (as all other services seemed to be running fine on your server).

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.