PhilJannusch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Find Results Online Vs Caching mode

One of the company owners with a large box is having issues with their mailbox. The search of the Cached mailbox was coming up with incomplete results.

So today we deleted the old cache mailbox and re-downloaded it. One issue we had was the download stopped in the middle 10 plus times.

Now when we do a search on the local cache we MORE results than the online copy. Also it takes 15 minutes to do a search of the cache mailbox, while the online copy takes 20 seconds.

This is GroupWise 8.

Thanks
Phil
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Find Results Online Vs Caching mode

Hi Phil,

The caching mailbox builds it's own index locally for doing searches. Online uses the indexes created on your post office. If your online find results are not complete that is typically indicative that the Quick Finder indexing process has not adequately been adjusted from default to what is optimal in a live environment.

Perhaps let us know what your QF settings are e.g. qflevel (look in the poa startup file for this), start time (offset from midnight) and interval.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
PhilJannusch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Later on Friday night we again downloaded the mailbox to a different PC. This download occurred cleanly, with us only once needing to restart the process. This copy of the mailbox also gave the same search results for email on both cached and server copies! We later found an Adware malware on the laptop where we started the process. So i am guessing the malware messed up the download and gave us a corrupt mailbox.

But.... while doing a simple search on the cached mailbox (which is 16 Gigs) it took 15-20 minutes. The same search took 30 seconds for the server copy. Does the cached copy of the mailbox have a quick finder index? If so how do I reindex?

thanks
Phil
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Phil,

Perhaps this is helpful: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7015408

Also, please do give me your settings for indexing on your POA - I still suspect that your settings are not optimal.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <PhilJannusch.7fsn40@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>,
PhilJannusch wrote:
> But.... while doing a simple search on the cached mailbox (which is 16
> Gigs) it took 15-20 minutes

How long has that new cache been sitting with regular send/retrieves
running? We've found that with the larger mailboxes you have to let it
run over night+ to get caught up on its own indexing. With the
send/retrieve running every 5 minutes you can get to indexing about
150000 messages over 12 hours if the system can keep up with the load.
How many messages does this mailbox have?
Is this on spinning disk or SSD?

Make sure any antivirus on the PC is NOT doing anything with the caching
mailbox, it MUST be excluded. I have yet to see any antivirus that has
proper view of or respect for caching mailboxes with results ranging
from merely slow access through to corrupt mailboxes.

Andy Konecny
Knowledge Partner (voluntary SysOp)
Konecny Consulting Inc. in Toronto

"Give more than others think is wise
Challenge yourself beyond what others think is right"
Michael 'Pinball' Clemens

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.