Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Forwarding email appears like 'On behalf of' to recipients

I have 2 separate users who recently forwarded emails internally but the recipients get an email that has the originator's name as the sender and the user who forwarded email in brackets; as if it was sent on behalf of the originator. The users both swear that they only forwarded the email and neither have Send on Behalf of rights to the originator's email account. This has left the users perplexed and me scratching my head as to why. Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me? Thx
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Forwarding email appears like 'On behalf of' to recipien

Hi,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your question 🙂

Take a look at the properties of the mail received by the recipients. There will be two fields of interest: Created By and From - those two fields should match. The From field should just state the user's name that sent the sent the mail. If it shows text and then the senders name in brackets that indicates that the user altered the From field.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Laura,
I found out that before the forwarder sent the email, she altered the subject's wording. So, by altering anything in the header information (From or Subject) of the original email, the person forwarding the email becomes an "on behalf of" and that is why it has her name in brackets? Could this also be true of altering the originator's email content as well?
thx,
B
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi B,

The only way the From field would be different is if the From field has been edited.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.