hko
New Member.

GMS 14.2.1 build 237 still not reliable syncronisation !!

We use now GMS 14.2.1. build 237 and Groupwise 14.2.1hp1 build 124595. The newest version from this products. And again we still have issue's with calender not in sync, missing contacts. And now even e-mail's are not in sync. What is your experience with this versions. We already have split all our GMS users over 3 VM's server, so each server has around 250 accounts. We hoped this newest versions should give better, and expecially reliable synchronisation. We mostly use iOS devices, and also a lot off Windows 10 devices. Maybe it's time for a GMS - Change? And go over the the idea to connect directly with the devices to the POA, like webmail. If you also are tiered off this contiuous flood off problems with GMS, maybe you can bring out a vote for this new idea for GMS and Groupwise : https://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/novell-gw/Idea/Detail/2106

HKO
Labels (1)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: GMS 14.2.1 build 237 still not reliable syncronisation !

Hi HKO

Just a few questions... is it always the same users experiencing sync issues? Or is it everyone on your GMS system? Perhaps give us a little more detail about what exactly isn't syncing such as shared folders/calendars/address books etc.

Also, the latest shipping version of GroupWise is build 125534 (released on 2 December 2016).

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
hko
New Member.

Hello Laura, Thank you for your response. Experiencing sync issues comes from multiple people/users. By Example, i just selected several e-mail messages in my inbox, and moved this to a folder. On my iPhone is still see a few e-mails in my inbox, wich should by in the folder. Also i made a repeated calendar item wich during the hole day, for 5 days in january 2017. A day after that, i changed the text from the calender item, and let this change work throug to the other days. In the windows groupwise client this change is good, but on my iPhone i now see 2 calendar items. one with the old text, and one with the new text. With contacts, when i do a re-init on an account, then several contacts are double, or tripled on my iphone. And my main problem with this is that all the above mentioned issue, where there already óne year ago also. And every time there comes new versions on Groupwise and GMS. But still this BASIC things are not working good, or they work for a while, and then for some reason people tell us that the again have sync issues. I can life with problems on new thinks like shared folders (with we don't use). But the issues i mentioned keeps coming back, and that for the last years. We do make Service Request every time, but this should not be neccesary for BASIC sync problems i think. kind regards HKO
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi HKO

I don't know if you have already tried this, but this is what I would do:

Remove user from GMS
Delete account from device
Using dsapp I'd force the removal of the user from the databases on the GMS server. See here: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7008852
Add user back to GMS
Give it a while to sync all data from GroupWise back to GMS
Add account back to device

Please let us know.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
hko
New Member.

Hi Laura,

Yes this are indeed the steps we have done, also made a gwcheck with in the MISC 'deldupfolders'. After this steps everything is synced again on the iPhone. BUT, still when i move e-mail messages to a folder, through the groupwise client. This is NOT synced to the device. There still there on the mainscreen. When i move a e-mail message through the mobile device/IPHone into a folder, then on the Windows Client it's also moved to that folder (so thats good). When i do this e-mail move on a Windows Phone it's does also change it onto my Groupwise client on the PC. So same behaviour. Also i again have changed a calendar appointment, wich is repeated 5 days, and during the hole day. Changed the Text from the appointment on my Windows Groupwise Client, and now on my iPhone and Windows (10) phone, i have 2 appointments on that days. One with the Old Text and one with the New Text. We have already made an SR for this, but did not get a reply with the solution until now.

So this is exactly what i mean with 'not reliable'. After a Re-Init, or with the steps you mentioned above everthing looks fine again. But before you know it's not in sync anymore. Sometimes with e-mail, mostly with calendar items, or contacts. If there are other better options, than we would love to known that. Because after 2-3 times a re-init on the same account, this users does not come to use anymore, and are tiered off make a report from out-off-sync issues to our helpdesk.

Kind regards, HKO
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: GMS 14.2.1 build 237 still not reliable syncronisation !!

In article <HKO.7rhchb@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Hko wrote:
> We do
> make Service Request every time, but this should not be neccesary for
> BASIC sync problems i think. kind regards HKO

yes, so that raises the question of what basic maintenance are you
running?
How often are your vacuuming and re-indexing your GMS databases?
Do you have a set of regularly run Scheduled GWChecks as per
http://www.konecnyad.ca/andyk/gwmnt5x.htm and making sure there are no
persistent errors seen, especially in the contents checks?

How many contacts do some of these users have that are having issues?
I've seen issues when there are more contacts than some people consider
'normal' such as BMW having issues with its device integration with
contact lists over a measly 1000 contacts. What else are they
connecting their devices to?

In the GMS Dashboard, select a user, and in the middle right there is a
block called "Devices / Folder Items" listing the device(s) that are
connected. Click on the down arrow on the right of the device in
question to see how many things are pending that may need a kicking, or
are stopped for some reason. Some acceptable reasons are folders that
are not being synced but show what would be synced if activated, so
don't worry about those.

Can your devices do refreshes? Example is my BlackBerry that allows me
to refresh and get new outstanding changes. When a message move
doesn't appear to sync, have you checked 30+ minutes later to see if it
eventually flows?

Are any of those messages moved from an in-box to a folder older than
the "Ignore Events After" setting (default is 30 days)

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!
GMS troubleshooting tips at
http://www.konecnyad.ca/andyk/gwmobility.htm

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
hko
New Member.

Hello Andy, Thank you for your reply. And indeed maintenance is an important thing in Groupwise and GMS. We have the following scheduler for our 5 POA's : every Night, Analyze/Fix: Structure+Index Check adn Fix Problems. Database : User / Resources and Message
weekly, Analyze/Fix: Content+CollectStatistics+Attachtment File Check and Fix Problems. Database : User / Resource and Message
weekly, Expire/Reduce Messages: Expire and reduce, Items older than 366 days. Include Receive iTems, Send items and only Retained items. Databases: User / Resources

And also on our 3 GMS servers we do every night a scheduled task to vacuum and re-index the database : every night at 03:00AM we run on all 3 GMS servers the /opt/novell/datasync/tools/dsapp/dsapp.sh -v -i command.
The accounts wich have problems with contacts in our case don't have more than 1000 contacts. Far less. Also the moved e-mails from inbox to folders, are only a few days old, or even from the same day.
And how this devices are used for other connections than GMS, we don't know that. But than i think, GMS should not have to any problems with it. Therefore it's looks better to me, to have a GMS solution wich connect directly to the POA, like webmail. So it have less interferred by other software, or iOS, windowsOS, Android issue's. kind regards. HKO
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <HKO.7s25jz@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Hko wrote:
> The accounts which have problems with contacts in our case don't have
> more than 1000 contacts. Far less. Also the moved e-mails from inbox to
> folders, are only a few days old, or even from the same day.

So with this and you having the all them maintenance, we've covered the
problems I know about. Might well be time for opening a Service Request
on this. They'll want to see some of the logs on Verbose, so it would be
worth switching them to Verbose now, and then open the SR when you have
new incidents to dig into. Let us know how it goes.

> And how this devices are used for other connections than GMS, we don't
> know that. But than i think, GMS should not have to any problems with
> it.

"Should" essentially means "in theory", and reality has a way of ignoring
theory all the time. Probably isn't the cause, but it worth looking into
if the problems consistently happen to the same subset of users.

> Therefore it's looks better to me, to have a GMS solution which
> connect directly to the POA, like webmail.

I agree, but that is a ways off in time. I suspect it won't make it in
GW 2017 otherwise I imaging Mike would have set the Idea to 'Planned'
status by now as he has other Ideas. Doesn't mean they aren't discussing
the issue though, and there is even a small chance the support tech you
get may know something of such discussions.

Andy of
Knowledge Partner
GMS troubleshooting tips at http://www.konecnyad.ca/andyk/gwmobility.htm

___
0 Likes
hko
New Member.

Hello Andy, thank you for your response. Whe have already made a SR. (we did make very much SR for GMS the last year). We also want a good, and reliable product. I know devices are also part of the problems, and how users are using this devices. But that's a thing we know it will happen. So make GMS software intellegent, does the services check if everyting is in Sync, and if not, make the items in sync. Now we must solve the synchronisation problems always manually with Re-Initialize accounts, or removing the account from the database with dsapp, and add account again. This solves it for a while. But sync problems keeps coming back...that is the main thing here. With 800 accounts we every day have someone (or more accounts) wich have sync problems. Also directors, planners, people wich must trust his/her mobile device because the have appointments with clients. Hope product management recognized this and make GMS Rock Solid, as Novell used to say. But we don't have much time anymore, users wich keeps complianing that there are syncronisation problems, don't come anymore after a few times. But ask for other solutions. kind regards, HKO.
0 Likes
hko
New Member.

We have through an SR now the newest GMS 14.2.1 build 284 version, and will install this tonight in our PRODuction environment. We tested this first in our TEST environment with iphone 6 v10.2, and Nokia Lumia 630 v Windows Phone 10 mobile. And this tests where all okay. So let's see how this works in PRODuction, with 800 accounts.
Does anyone know, if we update this GMS servers, will the calendar, e-mail and contacts issue wich no already are on the mobile devices. Will be automatically be made in Sync with the Groupwise Client on PC after the GMS update?

kind regards, HKO
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <HKO.7sitk2@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Hko wrote:
> Does anyone know, if we update this GMS servers, will the calendar,
> e-mail and contacts issue wich no already are on the mobile devices.
> Will be automatically be made in Sync with the Groupwise Client on PC
> after the GMS update?

It depends on why they stopped in the first place. They might, but we
just won't know until its been running at least a few hours.
The real trick will be if the syncing stops again after this for
accounts that were syncing properly.

Andy of
Knowledge Partner
GMS troubleshooting tips at
http://www.konecnyad.ca/andyk/gwmobility.htm

___
0 Likes
hko
New Member.

With iOS 10.2.1 and GMS 14.2.1 build 284 and also a newer file /opt/novell/datasync/syncengine/connectors/groupwise/lib/gwconnect/items/mapitemid.pyc we now have a good Syncronisation at this moment....
Also do a Maintenance on the Groupwise account, Analyze/Fix – Structure, Content, Fix Problems // Database – User/Resources // Misc – vul in ‘deldupfolders’. OK. Do this 2-3 times. (Other MISC options zijn nog : folderreset (resfldr), resequencefolders, pabfix, DelEventsByKey).
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <HKO.7tz7nz@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Hko wrote:
> Also do a Maintenance on the Groupwise account, Analyze/Fix ? Structure,
> Content, Fix Problems // Database ? User/Resources // Misc ? vul in
> ?deldupfolders?. OK. Do this 2-3 times. (Other MISC options zijn nog :
> folderreset (resfldr), resequencefolders, pabfix, DelEventsByKey).

Yes, 'duplicated' folders and key root folders moved out elsewhere are a
common cause of such problems, hence having a mention in my GMS
troubleshooting tips linked in my sig. Note that you shouldn't do a
structure at the same time as a content, and these MISC options are for
Contents GWChecks.
Now we just have to hope your users don't go moving folders they shouldn't
be.

Andy of
Knowledge Partner
GMS troubleshooting tips at http://www.konecnyad.ca/andyk/gwmobility.htm

___
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.