marksammon Absent Member.
Absent Member.
589 views

GMS - Disk Space usage

Hi,

We are in the process of migrating from a BES solution to GMS. This weekend We added a user to the GMS and their account started to sync.

In Groupwise the mailbox claims to be just over 4GB in size with around 8000 items.

For three days the GMS complained about a high number of attachments being synced for this user, in some cases up to 400/min Avg, and this has eventually now subsided.

The problem I have now is that in the last 3days, whilst this sync took place I have lost over 30GB of disk space on the GMS server (/var/lib/datasync/mobility/attachments/.... ) and it's looking like I'm going to have to extend the sda2 partition.

We did notice that the GWCleanup script we run states that the same mailbox is around 33GB, but this is not reflected in the GW POA Server UI where it states 4GB.

Could you explain the discrepancy in the sizing differences of the mailbox and the space taken in the GMS please?



As an additional question, does the GMS sync the full mailbox from the GW POA or only the items based on the number of days to sync? Can the number of days to sync be set differently per user or even per device? (21 days is fine for a mobile but longer would be great for Outlook/autodiscover on the desktop)


Thanks

Mark
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: GMS - Disk Space usage

On 26.03.2019 13:56, marksammon wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We are in the process of migrating from a BES solution to GMS. This
> weekend We added a user to the GMS and their account started to sync.
>
> In Groupwise the mailbox claims to be just over 4GB in size with around
> 8000 items.


Where did you check that? Did you also run a gwcheck to update mailbox
statistics?

>
> For three days the GMS complained about a high number of attachments
> being synced for this user, in some cases up to 400/min Avg, and this
> has eventually now subsided.
>
> The problem I have now is that in the last 3days, whilst this sync took
> place I have lost over 30GB of disk space on the GMS server
> (/var/lib/datasync/mobility/attachments/.... ) and it's looking like
> I'm going to have to extend the sda2 partition.
>
> We did notice that the GWCleanup script we run states that the same
> mailbox is around 33GB, but this is not reflected in the GW POA Server
> UI where it states 4GB.
>
> Could you explain the discrepancy in the sizing differences of the
> mailbox and the space taken in the GMS please?


Shared items? They only count for the owner.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: GMS - Disk Space usage

In article <marksammon.8xinnb@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Marksammon
wrote:
> In Groupwise the mailbox claims to be just over 4GB in size with around
> 8000 items.

....
> We did notice that the GWCleanup script we run states that the same
> mailbox is around 33GB, but this is not reflected in the GW POA Server
> UI where it states 4GB.


If you are just looking in the GW Admin interface, that only gets updated
when the Audit GWCheck runs, which is why it is a part my recommended
maintenance jobs. Otherwise you get this situation you have.
https://KonecnyConsulting.ca/gw/gwmnt.html

> The problem I have now is that in the last 3days, whilst this sync took
> place I have lost over 30GB of disk space on the GMS server
> (/var/lib/datasync/mobility/attachments/.... ) and it's looking like
> I'm going to have to extend the sda2 partition.


How large are you allowing messages? And what date range are you keeping
in GMS? I have a client with much larger mailboxes but what shows in
GMS is so much smaller even at a 50MB limit in GMS (for the usual 30
days)


Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca/gw/gwmobility.html in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!
GMS troubleshooting tips at https://www.konecnyad.ca/andyk/gwmobility.htm


___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
marksammon Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GMS - Disk Space usage

mrosen;2497412 wrote:
On 26.03.2019 13:56, marksammon wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We are in the process of migrating from a BES solution to GMS. This
> weekend We added a user to the GMS and their account started to sync.
>
> In Groupwise the mailbox claims to be just over 4GB in size with around
> 8000 items.


Where did you check that? Did you also run a gwcheck to update mailbox
statistics?


gwcheck runs weekly and the user has not had 29GB of mail since it ran. 4GB Sounds about right.

>
> For three days the GMS complained about a high number of attachments
> being synced for this user, in some cases up to 400/min Avg, and this
> has eventually now subsided.
>
> The problem I have now is that in the last 3days, whilst this sync took
> place I have lost over 30GB of disk space on the GMS server
> (/var/lib/datasync/mobility/attachments/.... ) and it's looking like
> I'm going to have to extend the sda2 partition.
>
> We did notice that the GWCleanup script we run states that the same
> mailbox is around 33GB, but this is not reflected in the GW POA Server
> UI where it states 4GB.
>
> Could you explain the discrepancy in the sizing differences of the
> mailbox and the space taken in the GMS please?


Shared items? They only count for the owner.

Somebody told me that Groupwise deduplicates data in mailboxes. No idea if this is true.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de


Please see replies above
0 Likes
marksammon Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GMS - Disk Space usage

konecnya;2497481 wrote:
In article <marksammon.8xinnb@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Marksammon
wrote:
How large are you allowing messages? And what date range are you keeping
in GMS? I have a client with much larger mailboxes but what shows in
GMS is so much smaller even at a 50MB limit in GMS (for the usual 30
days)


Hi,

We only allow 10MB max and on the GMS I have dropped the number of sync days down to 21 days.

This particular mailbox though has a lot of email in Japanese. Could the character set have any influence in this issue?

Thanks all for reples

Mark
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: GMS - Disk Space usage

On 28.03.2019 18:54, marksammon wrote:
>
> Somebody told me that Groupwise deduplicates data in mailboxes. No idea
> if this is true.


Well, yes and no. Groupwise never duplicates data to boot, but of course
GMS isn't groupwise. In Groupwise, when user A sends a 1GB mail to user
B, the total amount of data in GW is 1GB, the mail exists only once.

Obviously, when you sync that mail to two mobile phones, you end up with
2GB, and so you do in GMS, as there is no shared storage.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: GMS - Disk Space usage

In article <marksammon.8xmqvb@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Marksammon
wrote:
> This particular mailbox though has a lot of email in Japanese. Could
> the character set have any influence in this issue?


I don't think it would make a big difference. More likely this user
has just gotten a large number of large messages recently.

Does the user have many folders shared from others and is the shared
folders option turned in GMS?

Make sure you have a good round of schedule maintenance running on your
system and that you check the resulting logs to make sure everything is
being properly taken care of.


Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca/gw/gwmobility.html in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!
GMS troubleshooting tips at
https://www.konecnyad.ca/andyk/gwmobility.htm


___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.