Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
aroch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GMS Migration and Update?

Hello,

we plan to upgrade to the newest GW Version.
Groupwise Postoffice is 14.0.1HP1 at the moment.
We have an GMS 14.2.0 Build 279 on SLES 11 SP4 and this is working.
The newest version seems to be 14.2.1 HP3 and i think we will go on SLES12.
Do i need to upgrade GMS before i update PO, i think so? Is 14.2.1 HP3 temporary compatible with our older PO version?
Can i set up new SLES12 with newest GMS and migrate settings with dsapp backup/restore function?

Many thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: GMS Migration and Update?

Hi Aroch,

aroch;2454257 wrote:

we plan to upgrade to the newest GW Version.
Groupwise Postoffice is 14.0.1HP1 at the moment.
We have an GMS 14.2.0 Build 279 on SLES 11 SP4 and this is working.
The newest version seems to be 14.2.1 HP3 and i think we will go on SLES12.
Do i need to upgrade GMS before i update PO, i think so? Is 14.2.1 HP3 temporary compatible with our older PO version?
Can i set up new SLES12 with newest GMS and migrate settings with dsapp backup/restore function?

I'd follow this order;

- Upgrade GMS to the "Mobility Service 2014 R2 SP1 Hot Patch 3" version.
- Upgrade your GroupWise system and PO's to "GroupWise 2014 R2 SP1 HP2".
- Then upgrade the current SLES on the GMS box to SLES 12 SP2. You do not necessarily have to migrate GMS to a new SLES 12 server if there is no reason to (e.g. if the current server is running fine and a dedicated server for GMS, just upgrade the OS).
For more info on the OS upgrade for the GMS server, see: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwisemobility2014r2/gwmob2014r2_guide_install/data/inst_update_mobility_pack.html

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
aroch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

magic31;2454307 wrote:
Hi Aroch,

I'd follow this order;

- Upgrade GMS to the "Mobility Service 2014 R2 SP1 Hot Patch 3" version.
- Upgrade your GroupWise system and PO's to "GroupWise 2014 R2 SP1 HP2".
- Then upgrade the current SLES on the GMS box to SLES 12 SP2. You do not necessarily have to migrate GMS to a new SLES 12 server if there is no reason to (e.g. if the current server is running fine and a dedicated server for GMS, just upgrade the OS).
For more info on the OS upgrade for the GMS server, see: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwisemobility2014r2/gwmob2014r2_guide_install/data/inst_update_mobility_pack.html

Cheers,
Willem

I forgot to mention we also change the hypervisor from Citrix Xen to VMware vSphere.
Migrating servers from xen with conversion tools was not successful...so we decide to set up new server and migrate the services.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

aroch;2454361 wrote:
I forgot to mention we also change the hypervisor from Citrix Xen to VMware vSphere.
Migrating servers from xen with conversion tools was not successful...so we decide to set up new server and migrate the services.

Ah, ok. Important point 🙂

In that case I'd probably consider installing a fresh GMS server and move user over to that. One to watch for in that case (moving users to a new GMS server) could be loosing connector of user specific settings and /or things like contact data and calendar history when switching over, usually that's not really an issue that I've seen.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
aroch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Another question 🙂
Is it possible to do a "soft" migration?
Can i connect 2 gms server to the same post office with the same users?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

aroch;2454531 wrote:
Another question 🙂
Is it possible to do a "soft" migration?
Can i connect 2 gms server to the same post office with the same users?

For migration purposes you can have the same account on both GMS servers. From experience I can say that does work.

But I generally recommend to only place/connect each user account on either one or the other GMS server.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
aroch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

magic31;2454537 wrote:
For migration purposes you can have the same account on both GMS servers. From experience I can say that does work.

But I generally recommend to only place/connect each user account on either one or the other GMS server.

Cheers,
Willem

Thanks.
So i set up new GMS and connect it to the same PO like the "old" one and this will work?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Take a look at what Shane Nielson says in this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/501655-Running-Mobility-and-Data-Synchronizer-concurrently

Might be worth considering.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
aroch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley;2454540 wrote:
Hi,

Take a look at what Shane Nielson says in this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/501655-Running-Mobility-and-Data-Synchronizer-concurrently

Might be worth considering.

Cheers,

Thank you 🙂
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.