Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
iliadmin Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: GW 18.1.1 POA Log: Error: Memory error. Memory function failure [8101] User: XXXXXXX

So I saw this issue and it is something I have been trying to figure out on my PO for a while.  I have two users--myself being one--where this error occurs. Errors on my box have been occurring for a while, the other just recently started a month ago. Not constant errors, almost appear random when you look at the PO log.  I have run both structure checks/fix and content checks/fix on the boxes, each as a separate maintenance task, and also on any boxes they have proxy to.  The resources on the PO and the GWIA are (after it has been up for a day or so):  PO typically mem at 99% in use (no matter how much RAM I put in) and the GWIA around 18% in use.  89% of the disk space on both is free. Both are on SLES 12 sp3, GW 18, and were migrated from GW 2014 (where the errors also occurred).

Today I manually ran the checks (always with no user in the boxes), reviewed the logs (no issues) and then checked the PO log for any 8101 errors.  Initially none.  I did some e-mail, and re-checked a bit later and I had the 8101 errors.  I went back thru my box to correlate time of the 8101 errors to my activity. It looked like they occurred when I sent messages, whether internally or externally. So I tested..I sent a message externally and one internally, re-checked the PO log and the 8101 errors are there. I did it again. I could again see new 8101 errors time stamped to the same time as the sent messages. 

So sending messages, at least for us, is causing the error.  Don't know why. All the mailbox maint tasks come up 100% clean all the time. My box is very small, total of 351 messages (in and out).  I've got users with really large (20k+ messages) that don't have this issue, so I don't think size is the problem. I've also switched my signatures to text only--no formatting, images. etc. and the issue still persists.

Just an FYI.  Hope someone can shed some additional light on what might cause this.

Val

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: GW 18.1.1 POA Log: Error: Memory error. Memory function failure [8101] User: XXXXXXX

Hi @iliadmin Val,

What happens if you delete all your signatures.  Then run GWCheck with Contents, Fix Problems, and the MISC. option of:  clearsig

Then send a message, without a signature... does the error still occur?

Cheers,

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Hi Laura,

Don't know, I will give that a try and let you know!  Good idea.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Ok well, a good idea, but no go. Wiped out all my signatures, exited GW, logged into the admin console and ran the maintenance from there.  I confirmed in the log what I used to run gwcheck and the misc command.  Logged back in to GW and sent a message, then checked the PO log and there's an 8101 error in there.  Bummer.  Totally weird. I did it on my main mailbox. I can try it also on the proxies just to cover all bases.  The other user having this problem also works out of a proxy box as well as her own.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

So just as a final followup, I also removed the signatures in the boxes to which I am proxied and ran the same suggested maintenance on those.  Still the error persists, only when sending messages, and only from my primary box, never from the proxied boxes.

Weird.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.