Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Re: GW 2012 unable to add user to restore area

So, I set it to run in Compatibility mode for Windows 7 and it startup up.

I was able to open up the restore area and add a user, even though, even on Windows, the domains appeared grayed out, I took a chance and played key clickit and po's were visible, then users.

Restarting client, I can see the restore area but get a D101 user not found  when attempting to access it.  Then asks for path to restore area and has the path but with a trailing \.

I guess more remains to be done.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

But does it work then? Shall read: is the user able to restore purged mail?

Most of the time up to 2012, if administering with C1 from both Windows and Linux, you'd have to do something like this

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7010366

Which build of GW2012 are you running? The issue might (just might) call for a rebuild of databases which should better be run on the latest patchlevel avail for a given version.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

No, the restore did not work as it would not connect to the restore area.  

I know the linux mount area in C1 is not set to /mnt having been changed for some reason. 

I will look into that more later on as I have to take some time away from it for a bit.

Correct me if wrong, but ISTR the Agent handles the restore as directed by the client, the data passing from the restore area to the po db, via the agent, not the WS client. ?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the Restore Area's properties (just to see how the paths are entered?

Did you by chance restore a backup of a different PO or of a PO which didn't hold the user in question at the time the backup has been made?

Are the agent running as "root"?

Did you run a "validate" on the PO and domain databases?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Forgot to mention this:

in order to check that the restored data is valid as a restore area for the given user you might want to spawn a temporary PO and connect to it. Basically this way

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7018172

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

I will try those things later tonight or tomorrow.

It is the same user and the same FID, but . . . I had run several contents checks and actually moved the user to another PO setup for that purpose.   Reason being, there was a corrupt signature I could not get rid of that seemed to be due to userdb issues.   Thinking was, to delete the signature (which kept reappearing) move the user and check.   That seemed to be resolved, so, restarted agents and moved user back.   Same username and FID were maintained.

When back, noticed the user.db was substantially smaller and some folders were empty.   Since the user.db existed as backups from checks, it seemed reasonable to setup a restore area and rename on of the backup user.dbx's to  user.db and attempt to restore that.  

That met with one pothole after another.  And here we are.

I did setup the recovery po as suggested, used to do that frequently in another incarnation.  The user was able to login fine. 

The unc path entered in C1 does not show the server name.  Apparently, the client wants this but it cannot have it, as it is all mine and  . . .  wait, different game . . .  as I cannot get that volume to mount as NCP on the Linux server.   Get an error 146 when attempting to mount it.   That error I cannot find defined.  

ncpcon appears to have created it properly in /etc/opt/novell/ncpserv.conf and it can be seen as a volume name in Windows network browser, but has no folders under it.    That needs to be resolved, if the client needs to see it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

So, I have been able to add the user to the restore area, via ConsoleOne on Windows.  I can then see the member in C1 on Linux, but cannot add others or browse, at all, in that dialog window.

The issue now becomes, perhaps for another forum, that, in windows 7, using an earlier Novell Client for Windows I am unable to see the folders in the restore volume I created as an NCP mount on the Linux server.

I can see other Volume folders that are NSS volumes   The number of property tabs is different between them, being more in the NSS (folders visible) volume.

On a whim (OK, more than a whim) I powered up an old XP station and, goodness me, I could see the restore folders with no problem at all.

So, I find no solutions, so far.  Experience, from long, long ago, suggests I update the Novell Windows Client on the Window 7 PC to something more modern.   Browsing the myriad versions on the download site, gives me pause.   Which?.  Oh, bother.  Which one?

Sigh.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

As for error dec146 -> https://www.novell.com/documentation/open-enterprise-server-2018/file_ncp_lx/data/b18xzdof.html

That pretty much fits the fact that you can see the volume (better: something with its name) in Windows despite of the fact that you can't mount it. There's already something else with this name.

Apart from that, as for this particular mailbox (moved back and forth a.s.o.) i'd proceed as if i wanted to create a fresh userDB for the user. Via "fakePO", archiving everything, deleting / recreating mailbox, unarchiving.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

You'll find a current client here

https://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=7WNUQTbazZs~

But while it's a really good and stable build it won't let you access an unmounted volume. As a quickshot you might want to create another NCP share and test with this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Before my last post, I had succeeded in getting the volume mounted and could see the folders on an XP, but not on Windows 7.

Your suggestion to archive everything, delete the mailbox, recreate it and un-archive (after FID fiddling, that is) has merit, especially since there are still two oddities with this mailbox, one having to do with signature and another to do with extraneous very tiny characters inserted at the top of a reply made using "internet standard".

Very annoying and so far, eludes resolution.   So, the suggestion may prove to be the ultimate solution, though a bit scary and time consuming.   I have done it before in desperate situations.

Before that though, I'd like to clarify something about the restore.  I thought the actual restore was always done by the POA and the restore area needed to be accessible only to it, regardless if "unattended full" or "user pick and choose" was selected.   That is my recollection from the dim past, please set me straight on that if possible.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Well, AFAIK it should work without any FS connection from the client to the restore area. Experience showed that this often wasn't the case. That being said, after searching around in my lab, i've actually found one last GW2012SP4 system. I've set it up to match your offset, i.e. with GW live data on NSS and the restore area on the same box in a directory "/gwrest" (8+3 is VITAL) shared via NCP mount.

Linkage as per TID 7010366 is done.

I can open the backup and restore items without any FS connection (not even logged in to eDir) with a 12.0.4 client from W7, i am NOT presented the box showing the UNC path. Note that if something is wrong with the data in the restore area (e.g. corrupted / missing DB files) you WILL see the UNC path dialog. If you connect then (and have RWECMF rights) the backup will likely open, but restores will likely fail. This behaviour might be confusing as it suggests a config error rather than broken data.

But, anyway: it IS in fact possible to have this working with GW12.0.4.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.