Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GW 2014 Process running after closing and can't archive.

Hi,

I have a problem with one specific user. User can't archive e-mail and after closing client process keeps running and can't open client. After restart can open client but archive still doesn't work. I have ran analyze/fix databases which gave the CODE DESCRIPTION error. Ran the structural rebuild there were no errors. Updated GW client to 14.02. Tried running GWcheck from users workstation, didn't work, error Error = 0xDF28. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Workstation running Windows 7 64bit.

Best regards,

Ian
Labels (1)
0 Likes
14 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: GW 2014 Process running after closing and can't archive.

Hi Ian,

Just some questions to start off with so that I understand your situation more thoroughly.... when the user tries to archive an e-mail what error message is given, or what happens specifically? How big is the archive? Is the archive on the local workstation or on a network share of some sorts? If network share, what kind i.e. NSS, NTFS, etc? Lastly, the GWCheck, I am assuming that you are running that against the archive directly and not the user account in question?

Please let us know and we'll do our best to assist you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

Thanks for Your quick reply. The weird thing is that when archiving it doesn't give an error message. The e-mail selected for archiving vanishes for a second as if it's archiving but a second later is back. The archive is on a outer HDD connected via USB(Which has worked fine so far, archiving and reading e-mail as well). It's FAT32 and size of the archive is 17,2 GB. Yes, I tried to run it against the archive directly, thought it might help because the analyze/fix databases log showed 83 errors archiving.

Ian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Ian,

Typically GWCheck "83-Item Failed to Archive" messages imply that the message and/or attachments are corrupt in some way. The only way that I know how to deal with this is to find the offending message and delete it. How many items do you have that have failed to archive? If it is only a few, are you able to remove them?

Please let us know.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

The user in question said that he has tried only a specific folder. Advised him to try a different folder with different e-mails, waiting for him to do that. Will report back if I get more info.

Thanks,

Ian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Get this error. Not a specific folder or e-mail. With some users gives error 8210. Tried running GWcheck on the problematic archive, gives the error You can see in the picture. Any advice?

Regards,

Ian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Ian,

Just a quick question... are you launching the standalone GWCheck utility or are you launching the "Repair Mailbox" feature from within the client?

Please let us know.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Ian,

Sorry for posting again before you've had a chance to answer my question above.

I've just had a thought.... you stated above that the archive is on an external [usb] storage device formatted with FAT32 and that the archive is over 17GB. Here's a test I would like you to run.... see if you can manually create a file in the archive directory, just a text file with some text in (you can delete the file after the test). Please let us know if you can indeed manually create the file.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

Tried both options. The same error with both. Will try Your suggestion, thanks.

Ian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

Get this error. Seems like there's a problem with the archive. Thanks for Your suggestion. Weird thing is GW still manages to open the archive, just isn't able to archive new messages. Is that archive done or is there something I could do to make it rise from the ashes? Or just make a new archive?

Thanks,

Ian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Ian,

This error means that quite literally the FAT32 table has run out of entries for files. The limit on the number of files/directories on a FAT32 partition is 65536. The only thing I can recommend is to copy the archive off, reformat the storage device with NTFS and then copy the archive back.

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

Thanks for Your quick reply. Will do!

Ian
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.