Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GW 2014 R2 client-multiuser calendar proxy access

Hello all,

Anybody help me with the following - or is this just working as designed?

GW 2014 R2

I have a secretary who needs to plan appointments for all users in the organization. To this purpose, this person:

- opens the GW client as herself (Gw build 125xxx, Micro Focus rebranded)
- proxies into a GW planning resource
- opens the multi user calendar (either from left of the screen OR from the multi user calendar icon on top of the screen)
- tries to add one or more users whose calendar she wants to see
- but is unable to add the user to the multi calendar view because the checkbox is greyed out (see attachment to this post for example)

The secretary has full rights to the plannning GW resource, granted to the secretary by the owner of the resource. And (as part of internal policy), all calendars can be opened readonly by internal GW user ("all user access read" for calendar).

I would like to know if this is normal behaviour, as part of some proxy rights mechanism change in GW 2014 R2.

The screenshot in the attachment also shows something quite peculiar: trying to add user shows the very old, traditional internal GW name (name.po.gwsystem) of the user in the "Adres" column (obfuscated for security reasons...).
Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: GW 2014 R2 client-multiuser calendar proxy access

Hi

Question - why is the user not just accessing the multi-user calendars from within her own account? I ask as I don't think that I'm understanding fully.

As far as I can tell when you proxy to another account you can't from there open another person's calendar. I imagine that this is for security reasons.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura, good question- but that's the way they always used to work...the user *** claims *** it always worked that way in earlier versions of the client.
And indeed, this functionality (open gw, become proxy user, add any other user to proxied user multical view) used to work. I just checked that out with the last, non rebranded version of the Novell GW client (121518). The check box is not greyed out, and users can be added no problem at all by the proxied user in the multicalendar view.

From a point of view of security, I fully agree with you.

But from a point of view of organization of appointments, this old feature was really good I think: a GW resource, used by multiple office assistants - all doing planning work for multiple people. Think e.g. of internally retracting appointments, rescheduling etc. -> all done from within one mailbox / GW resource.

But again, I am not sure whether this greyed out box is the result of a somewhat wrong installation OR a "working as designed".

Would be great to have some others testing this feature...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I am asking around for confirmation of whether or not this is working as designed or a bug. I'll let you know what I find out.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks a bunch Laura!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I have not yet been able to get further information on this. I suggest you open a Service Request with Micro Focus to get the engineers to take a look at this and advise.

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Further to what I've said above I've spent some time working with this.

From my own account I open my multi-user calendar including the calendar of the central resource. Now I can see all the calendars necessary. When I create or amend an appointment I click on "From" and from the drop-down list select the resource that I'm sending from. Thus, I can centrally manage appointments from the resource without actually proxying into the resource. I hope that I'm making sense.

Perhaps play around with this for a bit and let us know if this works for you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

Thanks for this info. I will check this out.

I have already posted an SR in the meantime, will keep you informed as well.

Cheers

Jan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Jan,

Please see this document: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014r2/gw2014_readme_r2/data/gw2014_readme_r2.html

Under Security Enhancements it talks about not being able to proxy to a calendar and then from there proxy to another calendar for security reasons. Based on this I would say that what you have reported is "Working As Designed". To me this also implies that this used to work but has been "fixed" to maintain security. Think about it, if I grant user A proxy rights to my calendar I want to know that only user A can see my calendar and no other 3rd party whom I have not explicitly granted rights to.

I would still be curious as to the outcome of your SR.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

I think you're totally right...This was also my own thought, and it is confirmed by the documentation. Still, would be interesting to know what the outcome of the SR will be...

I will keep you posted!

Cheers

Jan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura

The answer from the SR is as we expected: working as designed (and for good reason 😉

cheers

Jan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thank you for the feedback Jan. Much appreciated.
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.