kipple Absent Member.
Absent Member.
4232 views

GW 8.0.2 beta Client on Windows 7 64 Bit

Hi
I've installed the gw802 beta client on my windows 7 x64 workstation.
It is working fine unless I click on the "Home" folder/view

When I do this the machine flickers several times, Groupwise stops responding
I also get popups informing me that the graphics driver has been stopped and recovered.

on the first time I saw this - the machine eventually blue screened.
on the second test I managed to close groupwise - the machine seemed to recover.

in the event log I see "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

this is a nvidia quadro fx 1700 graphics card. I have tested this issue on both the windows7 drivers and the latest from nvidia

if I don't click on the "home" folder - the client seems to run ok apart from some icon corruption/duplication.

let me know if any more information is needed or required.

cheers

jamie
Labels (2)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
7 Replies
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GW 8.0.2 beta Client on Windows 7 64 Bit

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 09:26:01 +0000, kipple wrote:

> I've installed the gw802 beta client on my windows 7 x64 workstation. It
> is working fine unless I click on the "Home" folder/view
>
> When I do this the machine flickers several times, Groupwise stops
> responding
> I also get popups informing me that the graphics driver has been stopped
> and recovered.
>
> on the first time I saw this - the machine eventually blue screened. on
> the second test I managed to close groupwise - the machine seemed to
> recover.
>
> in the event log I see "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and
> has successfully recovered."
>
> this is a nvidia quadro fx 1700 graphics card. I have tested this issue
> on both the windows7 drivers and the latest from nvidia


I'm running the 802 beta client on Windows 7 64-bit, NVIDIA Quadro FX880M
video card, and I use the home view almost exclusively without issue.

It sounds to me like there's something really odd with the drivers for
your FX 1700. Maybe just as a test try temporarily disabling Aero?
Visual Effects, select "Adjust for best performance."




--
Joe Marton
Novell Knowledge Partner
Enhancement Requests: http://www.novell.com/rms

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
kipple Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GW 8.0.2 beta Client on Windows 7 64 Bit

Just tried that - no aero them - no crash.
turned the aero theme back on - then clicked on home view - no crash.

something strange going on (or was!)

maybe the driver needed a couple of reboots to get it's self happy.

the joys of windows 7!

cheers

jamie
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: GW 8.0.2 beta Client on Windows 7 64 Bit

Hi,

kipple wrote:
>
> Just tried that - no aero them - no crash.
> turned the aero theme back on - then clicked on home view - no crash.
>
> something strange going on (or was!)
>
> maybe the driver needed a couple of reboots to get it's self happy.
>
> the joys of windows 7!


Just FWIW, I've eventually disabled AERO in Win7 due to high frequency
of unexplainable, similar crahses in ATI graphics drivers. Only on very
close inspection of the crahs dumps, DWM.EXE (the core Aero process)
showed up as culprit.

If you search the web for "DMW.EXE crash", you'll find *a lot* of
similar stories. It really seems Aero is pretty instable still,
especially in Win7. I'm hoping for SP1.. 😉

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
tjacksonbcg Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GW 8.0.2 beta Client on Windows 7 64 Bit

kipple;1982528 wrote:
Hi
I've installed the gw802 beta client on my windows 7 x64 workstation.
It is working fine unless I click on the "Home" folder/view

When I do this the machine flickers several times, Groupwise stops responding
I also get popups informing me that the graphics driver has been stopped and recovered.

on the first time I saw this - the machine eventually blue screened.
on the second test I managed to close groupwise - the machine seemed to recover.

in the event log I see "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

this is a nvidia quadro fx 1700 graphics card. I have tested this issue on both the windows7 drivers and the latest from nvidia

if I don't click on the "home" folder - the client seems to run ok apart from some icon corruption/duplication.

let me know if any more information is needed or required.

cheers

jamie


I've been seeing this from 8.0.1 through 8.0.2 beta. I'm running a Dell laptop with an nvidia card. A co-worker has the problem too. It seems to be something with the home view config. It was happening to me consistently when using four columns. Removed the fourth and haven't had a crash since. I would try making a change to your home view and see if that helps.

Tim
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GW 8.0.2 beta Client on Windows 7 64 Bit

On 6/4/2010 8:34 AM, Massimo Rosen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> kipple wrote:
>>
>> Just tried that - no aero them - no crash.
>> turned the aero theme back on - then clicked on home view - no crash.
>>
>> something strange going on (or was!)
>>
>> maybe the driver needed a couple of reboots to get it's self happy.
>>
>> the joys of windows 7!

>
> Just FWIW, I've eventually disabled AERO in Win7 due to high frequency
> of unexplainable, similar crahses in ATI graphics drivers. Only on very
> close inspection of the crahs dumps, DWM.EXE (the core Aero process)
> showed up as culprit.
>
> If you search the web for "DMW.EXE crash", you'll find *a lot* of
> similar stories. It really seems Aero is pretty instable still,
> especially in Win7. I'm hoping for SP1.. 😉
>
> CU,

Really? I've had it for 1 month now (admittedly not a very long time).
Not a single crash.
0 Likes
WalterH Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GW 8.0.2 beta Client on Windows 7 64 Bit

Hi,

I have an similar issue on German Windows 7 x64. Seen with GW 8.0.1 HP1
and GW 8.0.2. b1. Groupwise client sometimes stops responding, after one
or two minutes the GW client works again.

AERO is already disabled, current nVidia driver, all patches installed.


Walter



Am 03.06.2010 11:26, schrieb kipple:
>
> Hi
> I've installed the gw802 beta client on my windows 7 x64 workstation.
> It is working fine unless I click on the "Home" folder/view
>
> When I do this the machine flickers several times, Groupwise stops
> responding
> I also get popups informing me that the graphics driver has been
> stopped and recovered.
>
> on the first time I saw this - the machine eventually blue screened.
> on the second test I managed to close groupwise - the machine seemed to
> recover.
>
> in the event log I see "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and
> has successfully recovered."
>
> this is a nvidia quadro fx 1700 graphics card. I have tested this issue
> on both the windows7 drivers and the latest from nvidia
>
> if I don't click on the "home" folder - the client seems to run ok
> apart from some icon corruption/duplication.
>
> let me know if any more information is needed or required.
>
> cheers
>
> jamie
>
>


0 Likes
rajadaja Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GW 8.0.2 beta Client on Windows 7 64 Bit

kipple;1982528 wrote:
Hi
I've installed the gw802 beta client on my windows 7 x64 workstation.
It is working fine unless I click on the "Home" folder/view

When I do this the machine flickers several times, Groupwise stops responding
I also get popups informing me that the graphics driver has been stopped and recovered.

on the first time I saw this - the machine eventually blue screened.
on the second test I managed to close groupwise - the machine seemed to recover.

in the event log I see "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

this is a nvidia quadro fx 1700 graphics card. I have tested this issue on both the windows7 drivers and the latest from nvidia

if I don't click on the "home" folder - the client seems to run ok apart from some icon corruption/duplication.

let me know if any more information is needed or required.

cheers

jamie


I am having a (95%) similar problem. GW launches and works perfectly until I select a folder and return to my home view. After GW stops responding, all context menus or dialog boxes come up 'transparent'. The System event log shows "The Application Experience service entered the stopped state". I haven't tried with Aero turned off. It'll be the next thing I try...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.