AJarrett Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GW 8 deploy to Vista/7

I've been deploying GroupWise via GPO to Windows since version 6 with no problems until now. GroupWise 7.03 installed just fine with this method and GroupWise 8.01 installs fine to Windows XP systems. However when deploying to Windows Vista or Windows 7 I get the following 2 errors in the Event Viewer

Log Name: Application
Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 11904
Task Category: None
Level: Error
User: SYSTEM
Computer: WIN7
Description:
Product: GroupWise -- Error 1904.Module C:\Program Files\Novell\GroupWise\gwab1.ocx failed to register. HRESULT -2147010895. Contact your support personnel.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="MsiInstaller" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">11904</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-02-03T15:45:43.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>1278</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>WIN7</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Product: GroupWise -- Error 1904.Module C:\Program Files\Novell\GroupWise\gwab1.ocx failed to register. HRESULT -2147010895. Contact your support personnel.</Data>
<Binary>7B36313638343033392D313842302D344338312D394633462D4639464238343839363744337D</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Source: SideBySide
Event ID: 33

Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Novell\GroupWise\gwab1.ocx". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.4053" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="SideBySide" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<EventRecordID>1277</EventRecordID>
<Computer>WIT-WIN7-XEN.wvu-ad.wvu.edu</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.4053"</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Novell\GroupWise\gwab1.ocx</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Labels (2)
0 Likes
10 Replies
AJarrett Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GW 8 deploy to Vista/7

The problem seems to be with the transforms. If I setup a GPO to deploy GW8 without a transform it installs but then it does place Notify in startup. I tried configuring a setup.cfg and placing it in the folder with the MSI and it seems to use it as the install location is changed to C:\Program Files\Novell\GroupWise instead of the normal C:\Novell\GroupWise, but it does not place Notify into Startup even though I changed this option to Yes.

Any help would be appreciated.
0 Likes
dduvall Absent Member.
Absent Member.

AJarrett;1927554 wrote:
The problem seems to be with the transforms. If I setup a GPO to deploy GW8 without a transform it installs but then it does place Notify in startup. I tried configuring a setup.cfg and placing it in the folder with the MSI and it seems to use it as the install location is changed to C:\Program Files\Novell\GroupWise instead of the normal C:\Novell\GroupWise, but it does not place Notify into Startup even though I changed this option to Yes.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am getting this exact error message with GW8.01 HP1 on Windows 7 freshly built.

8.01 installed fine with my transform as created from gwtuner. I'm going to be forced to install GW 8.01 without HP1 if there is no resolution for this.

Bottom line, unable to automatically install GW8.01HP1 on Windows 7 Pro x64 from MSI file while using a transform created by gwtuner.
0 Likes
dduvall Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dduvall;1929808 wrote:
I am getting this exact error message with GW8.01 HP1 on Windows 7 freshly built.

8.01 installed fine with my transform as created from gwtuner. I'm going to be forced to install GW 8.01 without HP1 if there is no resolution for this.

Bottom line, unable to automatically install GW8.01HP1 on Windows 7 Pro x64 from MSI file while using a transform created by gwtuner.

Oh yeah, one more thing.

Multi-lingual version with all languages installed via gwtuner. No integrations installed. Everything else left to defaults in gwtuner.
0 Likes
pitcherj Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bump.

I'm experiencing this same issue.

Environment:
Windows 7 Enterprise
ZCM 10.2.2
Novell Client 2.0 SP1
GroupWise 8.0.1 SP1 HP1

This occurs on freshly built machines, as well as machines that have been in my testing environment for some time.

The error occurs towards the end of the install process, and even after the GroupWise Desktop icon appears. After this occurs, however, the MSI automatically uninstalls itself.

This occurs when launching setup.exe, or even the MSI through ZCM as either the currently logged in user, Dynamic Administrator user, or the system account.

If I run the install by hand from the command line, the install goes off without a hitch.

Jacob
0 Likes
WWWilco Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm facing the same problem here.
try to install GW8 on Win7

Anybody a solution?
0 Likes
hsingh25 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

AJarrett;1927434 wrote:
I've been deploying GroupWise via GPO to Windows since version 6 with no problems until now. GroupWise 7.03 installed just fine with this method and GroupWise 8.01 installs fine to Windows XP systems. However when deploying to Windows Vista or Windows 7 I get the following 2 errors in the Event Viewer

Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 11904
User: SYSTEM
Computer: WIN7
Description:
Product: GroupWise -- Error 1904.Module C:\Program Files\Novell\GroupWise\gwab1.ocx failed to register. HRESULT -2147010895. Contact your support personnel.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="MsiInstaller" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">11904</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<EventRecordID>1278</EventRecordID>
<Computer>WIN7</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Product: GroupWise -- Error 1904.Module C:\Program Files\Novell\GroupWise\gwab1.ocx failed to register. HRESULT -2147010895. Contact your support personnel.</Data>
<Binary>7B36313638343033392D313842302D344338312D394633462D4639464238343839363744337D</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Source: SideBySide
Event ID: 33

Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Novell\GroupWise\gwab1.ocx". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.4053" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="SideBySide" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<EventRecordID>1277</EventRecordID>
<Computer>WIT-WIN7-XEN.wvu-ad.wvu.edu</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.4053"</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Novell\GroupWise\gwab1.ocx</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
0 Likes
Highlighted
hsingh25 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are experiencing the same issue with 802 Hot Patch 1 and 802 Hot Patch 2 on Windows 7.

Any fix available?.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GWCHECK PO error

What would one recommend that I do to deal with this?

***** OVERALL STATS FOR THIS RUN *****
Uncorrectable conditions encountered:
- No problems found
Correctable conditions encountered:
CODE DESCRIPTION COUNT
---- -------------------------------------------------- -----
23 Databases in Store Catalog, not in Address Book.... 94
39 Unrecognized or invalid files in mail directories.. 72
49 User databases found for non-existent users........ 94

Thanks

Bill
0 Likes
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

Re: GWCHECK PO error

Hi Bill,

( Start another thread? 🙂 You've accidentally hijacked this thread on client installation. )

Problem 23 & 49 indicate the presence of a /poa_path/ofuser/userXXX.db file which does not corespond to a user in the PO This can happen when you delete a user, or in your case, 94 of them. GWCHECK will eventually get rid of these ( I think after 2 weeks ). You can look through the log for the specific database files. Problem 39 is a similar issue, where non-database files are present - these are most likely .DB files which have already met the age limit and have been deleted. These could be backup database files, like .dba files, which are created when a user database is rebuilt or recovered. Again, look through the log for the specific files. So this might be OK if you have deleted a bunch of accounts since the last run of GWCHECK.

On the other hand, if these user databases correspond to real users, and you find 94 accounts missing on Monday... then make a copy of these userXXX.db files to preserve them - to kep further GWCHECKs from deleting them. You may have some corruption in your wphost.db which has disappeared some user accounts. Then that's an entirely different issue.

But the above might be perfectly normal if you have not run GWCHECK in a while, or if you recently deleted a bunch of accounts.

-- Bob
0 Likes
WWWilco Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think I found the problem described in this thread.

I was not able to resolve the issue, but I found an exceptable workaround.

I had the same issue with installing Groupwise aswell as the Novell Client2.

These are my findings with regards to the GroupWise Client. I think these also apply to the Novell Client installation.

Let me explain the scenario:

- Windows 7 (sysprep) image distributed through ZCM10
- Unattended installation of Windows 7 with unattend.xml
- Deployment of default software (Adobe Reader, Microsoft Office, Novell = groupwise, NWclient, Flashplayer etc.)
- These default application installations are defined in Component "Specialize" "Deployment_neutral" "RunSynchronousCommand" (msiexec application.mst transforms=3Dapplication.mst -qb)
- For all applications, except Novell Groupwise and Novell Client, this scenario works fine. The Novell applications both have problems with unattended installation.

I found a workaround:
- Instead of installing Novell Applictions in the "Specialize" Component I added the installation of the Novell applications to the "oobeSystem" "FirstLogonCommands" Component.

Pro's and Cons:

Pro:
- Novell Applications are installed correctly

Con:
- Additional reboot required since I added oobeSystem to the installation sequence.

The only explanation for the problem is, to my opinion the status difference when deploying Windows 7 unattendedly with unattend.xml files. In the Specialize phase the system is still in "audit" mode. When the system is in the oobeSystem phase it left the "audit" mode. In the oobeSystem a user is logged in to perform the installation (defined in AutoLogon).

The initial problems were caused by missing HKCU registry items. This can be caused by the fact that the software is installed in the Specialize "audit" mode. In this mode there is no regular user logged in.

Novell Support confirmed that my findings were correct and reported them to Engineering.

Keep me informed if you have more info.

Kind regards,

Wilco Kakkenberg
KMC solutions BV
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.