Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
DavudOeden Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

GW Calserver (Sync Problems)

Hello again,

just a few question. If i make a new calendar entry on my iPhone, it gets synced via GroupWise CAL Server to GroupWise immediately.
But when I make new Calendar Entries in GroupWise or change old Calendar Entries in GroupWise it wont get synced or it takes really really long.

Any ideas where I can configure GroupWise or the CalServer how often the informations frome GroupWise are sent to the CalServer ?

Thanks and regards,
D. O.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: GW Calserver (Sync Problems)

Hi,

DavudOeden;2454360 wrote:
Hello again,

just a few question. If i make a new calendar entry on my iPhone, it gets synced via GroupWise CAL Server to GroupWise immediately.
But when I make new Calendar Entries in GroupWise or change old Calendar Entries in GroupWise it wont get synced or it takes really really long.

Any ideas where I can configure GroupWise or the CalServer how often the informations frome GroupWise are sent to the CalServer ?

Thanks and regards,
D. O.

There is not really much to configure. Where I've set it up it works both ways, a first suspect -as you also mention it can take really really long - would be some firewall rule blocking traffic from the POA back to the CalSrv service.

One thing to watch out for (word of warning), is high sync traffic coming over the CalSrv service generating multitudes (of the same) appointments in GroupWise.
I've had that happen a couple of times. Not sure what the trigger was, but it seemed to stem from communication issues between Mac application (AirMail I believe) and the CalSrv service.

In any case, have you double checked the noted steps and requirements in the documentation?: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014r2/gw2014_guide_install/data/b1g6ija8.html

Please let us know how you go.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Hello,

thanks for your answer. But maybe my "really long" is wrong. I have created for some hours new cal entries in groupwise, which are not synced yet.
I got the initial sync without problems. and after then I had only one time new entries from groupwise to mobile device and this, after I edited on my phone the same day.

If I dont change anything in the calendar of my phone, I dont get any new entries frome groupwise.

Can you tell me how the NPNS works ? Does my groupwise have to talk with NPNS ? Do I have to install anything on my GroupWise server ? I only installed the calendar Server in the dmz. But nothing configured on my GW System except the trusted application.
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Me again 🙂

Comprehension question: How does my GroupWise System know, where it should send new calendar entries ? How does GW know, that there exists a CalServer in our DMZ ?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

DavudOeden;2454365 wrote:
Can you tell me how the NPNS works ? Does my groupwise have to talk with NPNS ?

I don't know the specific communication flow (which component really takes care or the notification). In any case NPNS is the Novell Push notification service (to directly push new items to mobile devices). NPNS has a link/trust with Apple's notification service and the Apple notification service which then handles the notification to the device.

Messenger 3 and ZMM also use this mechanism... there's a bit in the Messenger docs that might shed some more light on the workings: https://www.novell.com/documentation/novell_messenger30/messenger30_admin/data/b10v6lby.html

I would think the CalSvr is the one doing the notification handling (as it also has the NPNS certificate configured) and for that it needs to be able to communicate to the outside world.

I'll ask my Micro Focus contacts for more specifics on how this works in reality and post back.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

DavudOeden;2454368 wrote:
Me again 🙂

Comprehension question: How does my GroupWise System know, where it should send new calendar entries ? How does GW know, that there exists a CalServer in our DMZ ?

A very rough description on what I've understood about this service:

When the CalSvr service starts it talks to the GroupWise admin service where it can retrieve object information.

The CalSrv service talks to each POA using the SOAP protocol.... as it reaches out to the POA, the POA also gets the needed information about the CalSrv so it knows for which user it needs to return appointment and contact information.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Do my GroupWise Server need also access to npns.novell.com ?

Is your GW Server able to talk to npns.novell.com ?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

It is my understanding the your Calendar Server needs access to https://npns.novell.com as that's the push notification service that actually pushes the information to the device.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.