Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GW2012 SP3 command line recipe.

Hello there!

At last we have the latest service pack. I waited till this because we have SP1 and I didn't want to do two upgrades. I want to upgrade it in command line without the installers. I have in mind some steps:

-Stop all agents
-Backup all startup files. Backup apache config
-Copy new dc files if needed comparing with diff all the files (just in case)
-Upgrade all rpms: webaccess, agents, and console one plugin
-[Needed?] Extend schema in Console One?
-[Needed?] rebuild databases by starting agents manually in gui mode.
-Replace startup files.
-Start agents again.

Are the [Needed?] steps necessary? Is my only doubt

PD: Novell should provide the procedure to update their products using command line. They only say that we should use the installer and click on install/upgrade new system. I prefer take control of all steps of the process. I could do this with al lot of effort in a previous migration from groupwise 7.0.4 running on a Windows 2003 server to a groupwise 2012 system running on a Sles.

Regards
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GW2012 SP3 command line recipe.

I have just checked that the dc files have not changed neither console one too. So it should go fine only updating rpms, without rebuilding databases, am I right?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

randolf_carter;2331376 wrote:
I have just checked that the dc files have not changed neither console one too. So it should go fine only updating rpms, without rebuilding databases, am I right?

Yes indeed, as you are staying on the same major version (2012) and only applying a service pack for that major version (SP1 to SP3), it's really not that big of a deal.

Just update the code (either in the command line or using the GW installer's "Install Products" option).
When staying within the same major version, there is also not any real reason to run the agent configuration (the only one I do this for, is for the webaccess agent as that can add needed parameters into the webacc.cfg)

After upgrading the rpm's, simply stop all agents.... restart them, and the system can go on it's merry way.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you magic31, I'll give it a try ASAP.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Finally I did it. It was easy peasy. As you said all I had to do was to upgrade rpms and restore their startup files because rpms scripts don't respect previous ones. Restarted agents and tomcat. I copied also the ofviews dir in post office directory because it was a little different.

Thank you.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can you get Granular to assist the Suse Challenged Group?
I am interested but prefer to have the warm fuzzy feeling I am doing it correctly.
Thank You !

>>> randolf carter<randolf_carter@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 8/29/2014 11:06 AM >>>

Finally I did it. It was easy peasy. As you said all I had to do was to
upgrade rpms and restore their startup files because rpms scripts don't
respect previous ones. Restarted agents and tomcat. I copied also the
ofviews dir in post office directory because it was a little different.

Thank you.

--
randolf_carter
------------------------------------------------------------------------
randolf_carter's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=33985
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=479047
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dkamp;2331947 wrote:
Can you get Granular to assist the Suse Challenged Group?
I am interested but prefer to have the warm fuzzy feeling I am doing it correctly.
Thank You !

Ok, I will be more specific. But not a lot there can to be said about this, is not a big deal.

1)I made a backup of all startup files and init.d groupwise script (I tuned it a lot) Rpms scripts won't respect old ones. Also remember make a copy of webaccess.cfg andapache, just in case. In my experience, this patch doesn't overwrite neither webaccess or apache, but who knows. And it is free.

2)Do not stop daemons yet. Because they will be using old binaries and libraries until stop, this guarantees little downtime of service.

3) Update all rpms at same time because if not dependences will give you problems. First you can try the --test option to see if everything is in place
Command would be

rpm --test -Uhv internet/gwia/linux/novell-groupwise-gwia-12.0.3-116810.i586.rpm agents/linux/novell-groupwise-agents-12.0.3-116810.i586.rpm agents/linux/novell-groupwise-gwdva-12.0.3-116810.i586.rpm internet/webaccess/linux/novell-groupwise-webaccess-12.0.3-116810.i586.rpm admin/novell-groupwise-admin-12.0.3-116810.i586.rpm admin/novell-groupwise-dbcopy-12.0.3-116810.i586.rpm admin/novell-groupwise-gwcheck-12.0.3-116810.i586.rpm

4)Verify the startup files, overwrite with your copies if necessary.

5)Stop / start daemons. Mine are very slow because I run them with user different than root and POA daemon makes a chown over postoffice directory every time I restart it.

Regards
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.