susantci
New Member.

GW803 HP3 on Netware user lost 4 year worth of mail

Two days ago I had a user loose over 8000 messages from his mailbox. I saw the reduce size job log for his database go from over 24mb to 4mb. We do not have a backup. I have all logs. We thought that it might be an indexing issue on the POA. I did not run any maintenance jobs last night. So you think we have any chance of getting any of this back?

Any help would be appreciated.
Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: GW803 HP3 on Netware user lost 4 year worth of mail

Hi,

Bad news I'm afraid - without a full backup of the entire Post Office you will be unable to recover the mail 😞

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Am 09.04.2016 um 09:16 schrieb laurabuckley:
>
> Hi,
>
> Bad news I'm afraid - without a full backup of the entire Post Office
> you will be unable to recover the mail 😞
>
> Cheers,
>
>

Well, a recreate user database *might* bring something back, at the
expense of losing all settings, folders and such. But first I would try
to find out what happened.

And get a backup in place...

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

You might also want to double-check what "Clean Up" options the user has set in their client. I've had folk delete their entire mailbox with fidling in these settings. I learnt the hard way and then locked these at a domain level so folk could not repeat the process.

What operating system is your GroupWise system running on? Perhaps we could make some suggestions for backups.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
susantci
New Member.

The server is a Netware server.

After looking around the server for a long time. I found 12gb of salvageable files. So I salvaged anything I could in the offiles directories with the post office offline. Then I made a backup of the post office to try prevent any further damage. I think the next step is to recreate the user database and cross our fingers.

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for your responses
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Just for clarity sake here, and you are probably aware of this already, but an e-mail is not a single file stored in the offiles directory, or in any other directory for that matter. There are pointers for each mail in the user database linking each message to the first 2kb of the mail stored in the message database, and the remainder of the mail (larger than 2kb) is stored in the offiles subdirectories. Salvaging files in the offiles directory is not going to accomplish much I am afraid. This is why I made the comment that I did about not being able to do a full recovery without a full backup of the Post Office in question.

A recreate user database checks all other databases containing messages that have references to the user in question and recovers those. But, as Massimo so rightly pointed out, you will lose folders, settings, etc.

One more thing.... it is very highly recommended that salvage should be turned off on any volume hosting a GroupWise system.

Please do keep us updated - thanks.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.