Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
mhatga Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

GWDVA/DCA problems

Hello,

using 2014 R2 (123047), I see endless errors in the gwdva-logs:

05-02-16 16:52:44 Viewer: Finished Converting document /var/opt/novell/groupwise/gwdva/temp/2/in/572785f2.tmp Type: Time Elapsed: 1
05-02-16 16:52:44 Viewer: Error in performing Function DASetOption SCCOPT_TEMPDIR rc = 145 (The specified path does not exist)

I updated the server last week because of the segfaults problem of the gwdva and the update solved it. I then started a Quickfinder indexing with quarantine switch for the whole PO. Now I see 54GB of files in gp-gwpo/oftemp/gwdca/problem
I'm not sure, but does that mean, there are 54GB of attachments deleted and they are missing in the user emails?

On the other hand I see the same filenames are appearing in the /var/opt/novell/groupwise/gwdva/temp subdirs now... Thats the messages with the Error above.

Hopefully someone is able to explain this?

Thanks.

Michael
Labels (1)
0 Likes
18 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: GWDVA/DCA problems

Hi Michael,

I don't have a complete answer for your questions I'm afraid, but it is my understanding that documents that fail to convert are not removed from email, they are just not available for the "viewer" feature in WebAccess where you can view documents without actually downloading them or having the software to access them.

I'm not too sure about the rest of your issues, but let me spend some time digging.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Michael,

I'm terribly sorry but I have been unable to find an answer to all your questions. But I can confirm that documents that fail to convert are not removed from mail. They are just not available for indexing purposes nor the viewer feature in WebAccess.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

laurabuckley;2428590 wrote:
Hi Michael,

I'm terribly sorry but I have been unable to find an answer to all your questions. But I can confirm that documents that fail to convert are not removed from mail. They are just not available for indexing purposes nor the viewer feature in WebAccess.

Cheers,

However, thank you for your efforts. It's good to know that nothing is removed from email, so I can safely delete these quarantined files.

Kind regards,
Michael
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Michael,

You can control how long documents will stay in the quarantine area and what size the area may grow to by using switches in the config file.

See here: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014r2/gw2014_guide_admin/data/buu51f2.html

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

laurabuckley;2428655 wrote:
Hi Michael,

You can control how long documents will stay in the quarantine area and what size the area may grow to by using switches in the config file.

See here: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014r2/gw2014_guide_admin/data/buu51f2.html

Cheers,

Thanks, but this is another curiosity. If I understand it correctly, the startup file is /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/share/gwdva.dva
The comments in this file and their offered switches differ from the manual. For quarantine for example, it is /hold.
However, I enabled it, but the logs still start with "File Quarantine: Disabled".
I added "/quarantine", but no change.
The max size of the quarantine dir is set with "/maxhold-[500]", the logs state "Max Quarantine File Disk Space (MB): 100" and on the disk are 54GB of files.
On one hand, it seems the startup file is completely ignored, but I added an email address and I got an email when the dva couldn't started...
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Take a careful look at your switches. I'm assuming a linux operating system here? Your switches should start with "--" and not "/"

Is that perhaps where the issue lies?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Hang ten - I'm seeing some inconsistencies in my DVA applying switches. Let me do some more testing and I'll get back to you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi

Ok, I have the following in my DVA config file now:

--quarantine
--maxquarantineage-5
--maxquarantinesize-50

I restarted my DVA and see the following at the top of the log file:

05-13-16 09:55:14 File Quarantine: Enabled
05-13-16 09:55:14 Max Quarantine File Age (days): 5
05-13-16 09:55:14 Max Quarantine File Disk Space (MB): 50

So my switches beginning with "--" are now working.

Does that assist at all?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

laurabuckley;2428660 wrote:
Hi

Ok, I have the following in my DVA config file now:

--quarantine
--maxquarantineage-5
--maxquarantinesize-50

I restarted my DVA and see the following at the top of the log file:

05-13-16 09:55:14 File Quarantine: Enabled
05-13-16 09:55:14 Max Quarantine File Age (days): 5
05-13-16 09:55:14 Max Quarantine File Disk Space (MB): 50

So my switches beginning with "--" are now working.

Does that assist at all?

Cheers,

No, the switches are not working. I tried yours and also --hold as described in the file. No changes at all when I restart the gwdva...
This is so weired, because although the log file states "File Quarantine: Disabled", it does quarantine, obviously.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

My understanding is that the "hold" switch was replaced with the "quarantine" switch. So try take that out and see what happens.

Please let us know.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

laurabuckley;2428665 wrote:
Hi,

My understanding is that the "hold" switch was replaced with the "quarantine" switch. So try take that out and see what happens.

Please let us know.

Cheers,

Yes, I thought the same. But it's no difference...
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

So, I restarted my DVA a couple of times, and guess what happened? Yep you guessed right - all settings went back to default regardless of my config file. I'm asking around in the back rooms to see what I can find out about this. Watch this space, I'll report back.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Sorry, I have not received an answer back. I recommend that you open a Service Request with Novell Technical Support. Please keep us updated - many thanks.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

laurabuckley;2429022 wrote:

Hi,

So, I restarted my DVA a couple of times, and guess what happened? Yep you guessed right - all settings went back to default regardless of my config file. I'm asking around in the back rooms to see what I can find out about this. Watch this space, I'll report back.

Cheers,

Wow, I would have thought about MY GW-System being neurotic, but that is really a surprise...

I'll open a ticket, but I have to solve another problem first.

However, many thanks to you!

Michael
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.