Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

GWIA not relaying mail

I just updated from GW2012.04 to 2014.02.
Everything works fine, except for the mail relay.
I can receive mail from the external relay, but not send!
Under properties for the mail I get "Transfer delayed".

I have checked the settings for GWIA Relay Host for outbound messages. It's the correct IP of the relay server.

Any ideas where I should look for a solution?

GroupWise runs on Windows2008R2, The relay server is a Sophos (Astaro) UTM, version 9.3

Thanks
Jens Jakob
Dansk Centralbibliotek, Flensburg
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: GWIA not relaying mail

Hi Jens

If mail is not relaying [leaving your GWIA] then it will be queued in the Send directory under the GWIA file structure.

Check your GWIA log files in Verbose mode to see exactly what is happening - to me it sounds like your Sophos box is rejecting the transfer from your GWIA.

Double-check your relay server [Sophos] that it is configured to accept mail relaying for the correct IP address of your GWIA server.

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi Laura

Thanks for the prompt answer.
The send folder
D:\grpwise\dcbdom\wpgate\GWIA\send
is empty!

Log is set to verbose, but the mail I try to send isn't even listed there.

We also used the Sophos as relay on our GW2012 (the old server had the same IP as the current). No problems then. I've also restartet the SMTP service on Sophos.
Also no mention of access denied in the Sophos logs.

Jens Jakob
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

SOLVED!!!!!

At last I remembered a similiar problem from way back.
Our anti virus blocks outgoing mails from the server!

Log:
13-09-2015 10:03:15 Blocked by port blocking rule C:\PROGRAM FILES\NOVELL\GROUPWISE SERVER\AGENTS\GWIA.EXE Anti-virus Standard Protection:Prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail 192.168.180.1:25

After disabeling this function, everything works.

But before I thought of this, I deleted the GWIA-folder and subfolders in order to get rid of any remains from the old system, and reinstalled GW2014. I'm so happy GW upgrade is so easy:-)

Jens Jakob
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Jens,

Glad that it is working for you again. Thank you for reporting back as that way we all learn 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.