Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GWIA service not starting on its own after weekly GWCHECK

I run GroupWise 2014 on Windows Server 2012 R2. I automatically have gwcheck run weekly on my GroupWise 2014 server early Saturday morning. However, for the past 2 weeks this has coincided with my GWIA service shutting down and then the GWIA service does not start back up automatically. This results in my users on Monday not being able to send and receive email out of the building until I manually go in and start the GWIA service. How can I correct this problem? Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GWIA service not starting on its own after weekly GWCHEC

Well, it's a bit odd, because in general the GWIA is not dependent on the PO, so a GWCHECK should not have much to do with it.

You don't mention if this is Windows or Linux. I guess on Windows, you could change the service to continually try to restart the GWIA if it stops.

On Linux, you really have two options. One is to install GW Monitor and the High Availability agent, which will watch the GWIA and restart it automatically if it shuts down. The other is to have a cron job that restarts the GWIA. You could have a simple cron job that just restarts the GWIA on Saturdays (when you say the problem occurs), or you could have a more complex cron job that actually looks to see if the GWIA is loaded every hour, etc. and always make sure it is loading.

However, it would be really interesting to try to ferret out what is causing the GWIA to actually shut down at that time, since as I say, a GWCHECK normally would not affect a GWIA at all. A GWCHECK only touches post office files. If the GWIA is doing POP3 or IMAP4 access, I could see it "complaining" that it cannot connect to the PO if something causes a blip at the POA (still odd though). Do you see anything in your server logs that coincide with these shut downs?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Danita, hi! This is on Windows Server 2012 R2. I did some further investigation by looking at the event viewer on the Windows server. It posted the following event 1000 at 8:16 am Saturday morning, which is about 5 hours after GWCHECK ran:
Faulting application name: gwia.exe, version: 14.0.0.25243, time stamp: 0x5334b50c
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18007, time stamp: 0x55c4c16b
Exception code: 0xc0000374

What do you think might be the problem? Also, how do I change the service to continually restart if GWIA stops? Thank you.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In Windows, I found the recovery tab for GWIA service. I set it to restart the service after 5 minutes. Although, I wonder if the actual problem could maybe caused by a corrupt message in the gwia cache? If so, how do I clear the gwia cache?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well, there isn't a "cache" for the GWIA per se. It could be a bad message in a queue, but since it always happens on Saturday it seems odd. Unless you have a process that sends an email through the GWIA always at that day and time over and over. The queues are all in /yourdomain/wpgate/gwia - send, receive, defer directories.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I thought it was the last two Saturdays, but the last two occurrences were actually Saturday 12/19 and Monday 12/14. I will keep an eye on it to see if I have any further problems with it. Thank you.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.