raronson Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Gms in the cloud?

We lost one of our 2 isp connections last week, it cut off our mobile users, management freaked. We had to change our firewall and public dns to put it on our second isp, took 2 hours. As a result management wants alternatives to prevent future outages.

Our best idea so far is to get a server into a cloud with multiple connections to our network. My research is pointing to Azure since they will host Sles.

If if you have any experience or ideas I’d really hope you’ll share.

thanks
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
NoDau Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Gms in the cloud?

Hi,

the problem I'm seeing when you put (only) the GMS in the cloud is, that you need to open port 9710 and 7191. Opening management ports to the internet is a security risk.

So you have 2 options:
1. You put your hole infrastructure in the cloud. But if your ISP fails you can't work at all.
2. You might want to find a hoster (the one where your public domain is hosted) that offers real failover, load-balancing or at least dns round robin. So you can put 2 or more ip addresses from different ISPs to the public gms server dns name.

Norman
BahSIG Bahn-Signalbau GmbH
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Gms in the cloud?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 20:56:03 GMT, raronson
<raronson@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

I think management does need some education.
We are living in a world where somethings do break down. Even in the
cloud you can have a break down.

If they can not have an 2 hour interruption of service, they need to
get their wallet and give you the money to build a bomb free, solid as
rock it enviroment.

Mean while, make contact with your ISP and get an modem with failback
G4 capability with maintaining ip addresses. And that money, get
yourself a nice holiday i would suggest.

>
> We lost one of our 2 isp connections last week, it cut off our mobile
> users, management freaked. We had to change our firewall and public dns
> to put it on our second isp, took 2 hours. As a result management wants
> alternatives to prevent future outages.
>
> Our best idea so far is to get a server into a cloud with multiple
> connections to our network. My research is pointing to Azure since they
> will host Sles.
>
> If if you have any experience or ideas I? really hope you?l share.
>
> thanks

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.