Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Going from one Mobility server to two - splitting users

I've posted about this in August, (thank you for all the help)  but seeing as our environment will be a bit different with two mobility servers, I am just looking for input on the best way to migrate these users.

Currently, we have one mobility server GMS 18.2.1 Sles 12 SP5 and as I mentioned will be moving to two (new one is GMS 18.2.1 Sles 15.1). We will keep a group of users on the existing mobility server, then have the other group on to the new server.

I've created the new server and  synced the other group to the new server. We use Cisco Meraki as our MDM, so at this point, we would then just need to push out the policy to devices to point these users to the new server to get their mail.

Should these users be removed from the existing Mobility server before doing this?  I'm not sure how this will affect the mobility servers and/or POs, so just wanted to see what the best practice is?

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Commodore
Commodore

Yes remove them from the other first.  Lets that finish recombobulating and saying it's fine then add them to the new one if it's a large batch at once depending on how much email it could take a couple of days to catch up.  So make them aware there could be a delay.  

If you want less of a delay like that then only remove a couple then sync them to the new one.

We have two it works well, you just need to remember to check the right one when checking stuff on it, and ensuring they are only in the one group and not both.

PO's have never had any issues with mobility our only issues have been on the gms servers themselves.  Even though they have identical specs one seems way quicker then the other.  One syncs fast, the other takes ages.... we had  to resync all our users recently those on one synced within a day the other one took 3 days.

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Ok so I've already synced the new group to the new server.. I did this yesterday and it took about 8 hours for 230 users.

So I should remove them (in batches) from the old before pushing out the settings to connect them to the new server?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

No.  If you do that, they will be without email on their devices for a while.

The process I use for migrating to a new GMS is similar to what you need to do.

1. Stand up new GMS
2. Sync users to new GMS
3. Point users mobile devices to new GMS
4. Remove users from old GMS
5. Verify and remove events if needed from POA.

Regarding step 5, I forget the cause, but there can end up being events left over in the POA for users and their prior GMS.  So after everything is done, go into POA monitor > configuration > event configuration list and check for events and/or event configurations.  You would be looking for ones defined for users with the GMS server they are no longer using.  If those exist, just delete them.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums!
Don't forget to Like helpful posts and mark Solutions!
0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Ok got it delete the users on the original server after they have connected to the new!

As for deleting the POA event configurations - is this the same thing as running Mcheck on the new server and removing old event configuration that references the original mobility server's mac address?

Or does both need to be done?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

It is the same as running mcheck.  There are just two ways to get the same result.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Odd, I tested moving one user over, testaccount. Ran mcheck on the new server and it didn't find any old events. But I still see the event configuration int he POA for testaccount pointing to the new mobility server and the old?
0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Also will having all the users connect at once (by pointing them to the new server) put a load on the new mobility server and cause sync delays at all? I’m hesitant to switch everyone out at once - would it make more sense doing it in batches?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Don't forget that once you have removed old event notifications, regardless of the method, you absolutely do need to restart the POA.

Cheers,

Laura

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

@laurabuckley thank you. Would there be an issue moving everyone over at once ? Ie pointing them all at once to the new server? Just concerned about delays or sync issues.

Then after everyone is pointed to the new server run Mccheck, (even if they haven’t Entered password on device and downloaded their mail yet) and restart POs?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

I'm making some assumptions because I have no idea how you are "moving" the users.  When I replace my GMS with a new one, I just change the DNS name to point to the new server and everyone gets moved.  Since you are moving a subset of users and keeping the "old" GMS, you cannot use the DNS name change method.  So I assume you are telling the users who are moving to use a new server name (or if you have control of their devices, pushing out the new name to them).

Would there be an issue moving everyone over at once ?

Really depends upon how many users you have and how much resources the server has.  We are a small firm of about 70 people so I just do them all at once.  If you are dealing with thousands, I would be tempted to move them in batches.  Keep in mind though that when they connect up to the new server, there shouldn't be a whole lot of traffic because they won't need to download everything.  The users account on the old and new GMS should be in the same state so they will just pick up with the new where they left off with the old.  That's the beauty of this process.

even if they haven’t Entered password on device and downloaded their mail yet

All that needs to happen is for the server entry on their device to be updated with the new GMS name, should not need to recreate accounts or re-enter username or passwords.

I would check the status on the new GMS and make sure they are connected and then run mcheck.  No need to rush the process.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.