rjrayburn
New Member.

Grafting GroupWise objects to new tree,new Domain and new PO

Hello,

I have a fully functional GroupWise system that is running fine but running low on space. I built another server for testing purposes before I decided to build a new one for production. The test server has a copy of my GroupWise production server located in a folder called bak. I built and created a test GroupWise system that has no users.

Here is my question, if I were to use the Grafting utility, connect to the bak GroupWise system, change my paths to match the backup location and proceed to graft the objects to the new test PO and Domain, will I lose the original objects (like a cut and paste) or will it graft the objects (like a copy and paste) with out nothing lost from the original location?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Grafting GroupWise objects to new tree,new Domain and ne

rjrayburn;1894168 wrote:
Hello,

I have a fully functional GroupWise system that is running fine but running low on space. I built another server for testing purposes before I decided to build a new one for production. The test server has a copy of my GroupWise production server located in a folder called bak. I built and created a test GroupWise system that has no users.

Here is my question, if I were to use the Grafting utility, connect to the bak GroupWise system, change my paths to match the backup location and proceed to graft the objects to the new test PO and Domain, will I lose the original objects (like a cut and paste) or will it graft the objects (like a copy and paste) with out nothing lost from the original location?

As you've setup a test Groupwise system in your test tree I'd advise to build a new test server as your test tree already contains a GW system. I'm not sure what would go wrong, but a tree can only hold one GW system, you might see some strange quirks grafting your production GW system over the existing test GW system.

In a normal situation and moving a Groupwise system to a new tree, you only want to install the agents, extend the eDir schema and then connect to the Groupwise domain you want to introduce/graft into the tree. All Groupwise objects will be grafted into the tree and no configuration will be lost. you will have to recreate or relink to other eDir objects, like users and NDS groups.
0 Likes
rjrayburn
New Member.

Thanks so much for the response. I'm sorry for the delay due to a car accident I was involved in (a truck hit me). I'm good now. I guess what I'm trying to do is calculate how long it would take for me to move the data from my current GroupWise to a new server due to space issues by working with two test servers.

In my Test system I have a Primary Replica and a GroupWise server that contains a working GroupWise system. I restored a copy of my current GroupWise data on the test GroupWise server in a folder called test_backup. Once again the test GroupWise server is working but with a different GroupWise system name from my current GroupWise system name and with no users but the POA and MTA are working.

Is there anyway I can use the data from the backup GroupWise system put it in the test GroupWise system that has a different GroupWise system name?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

rjrayburn;1904702 wrote:
Thanks so much for the response. I'm sorry for the delay due to a car accident I was involved in (a truck hit me). I'm good now.

Je***!! ... That's a scarry thing! Glad you are ok!

rjrayburn;1904702 wrote:
I guess what I'm trying to do is calculate how long it would take for me to move the data from my current GroupWise to a new server due to space issues by working with two test servers.

In my Test system I have a Primary Replica and a GroupWise server that contains a working GroupWise system. I restored a copy of my current GroupWise data on the test GroupWise server in a folder called test_backup. Once again the test GroupWise server is working but with a different GroupWise system name from my current GroupWise system name and with no users but the POA and MTA are working.
Is there anyway I can use the data from the backup GroupWise system put it in the test GroupWise system that has a different GroupWise system name?

Well... if this is going to be just for testing you could unload the agents on your test system, use NwAdmin (or ConsoleOne without Groupwise snapins) to remove/cleanup all the Groupwise objects in your test tree and graft the new/copied system in.
That should be fine, as long as you remove all previous Groupwise objects in the test system.
It won't work to graft a new system in where an existing system is still in place.
After regrafting change the paths in your eDirectory objects, the listed ip's... etc, and reconfigure the agents with the correct home parameters. Then you can launch them to see if it all works.

For a test this should work and it will give you a good indication of how long it should take you with the real migration.
In the real scenario always start with a clean tree where possible.
0 Likes
rjrayburn
New Member.

magic31;1904986 wrote:
Je***!! ... That's a scarry thing! Glad you are ok!

Well... if this is going to be just for testing you could unload the agents on your test system, use NwAdmin (or ConsoleOne without Groupwise snapins) to remove/cleanup all the Groupwise objects in your test tree and graft the new/copied system in.
That should be fine, as long as you remove all previous Groupwise objects in the test system.
It won't work to graft a new system in where an existing system is still in place.
After regrafting change the paths in your eDirectory objects, the listed ip's... etc, and reconfigure the agents with the correct home parameters. Then you can launch them to see if it all works.

For a test this should work and it will give you a good indication of how long it should take you with the real migration.
In the real scenario always start with a clean tree where possible.

Thanks alot Magic31. I'm going to try it and see what comes of it. I'll let you know how it turnes out.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.