Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

GroupWise 18.3 upgrade - success or fail

Jump to solution

I have upgraded the first environments to GroupWise 18.3. My own has been upgraded almost a month ago, some others I have upgraded a week ago - the last one - a large one - 30 minutes ago.

I did not have any troubles - GroupWise troubles. If hard discs are out of disc space, it  is not GroupWise related 😎!

Do not forget that you can still stay on WebAccess 18.2.1 because you need features which the new web client cannot offer now.

How are your experiences? How are your impressions?

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner

Xmas holidays and New Year are perfect to upgrade or change systems. I upgraded a lot of GW systems in these days. There were only two cases where an issue occurred (LDAPs in both cases, check the whole thread to get the SR number). All my upgrades were fast and easy.

Well we want to have more features, we long for a better integration to other products and we wish more progress. But please honor that updating GroupWise is so easy and so fast! Not only this version - many other versions before too!

Diethmar Rimser

View solution in original post

30 Replies
Admiral
Admiral
I've upgraded multiple GroupWise systems running on linux without issue, and the desktop clients upgrades have been painless. Even enabled MFA at a couple sites which was relatively painless
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

My 18.3 upgrade is planned for tomorrow night.  Not expecting issues, but I will post back with the results.

Edit...  My upgrade had to be rescheduled.  May not happen until after the first of the year now.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums!
Don't forget to Like helpful posts and mark Solutions!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
This afternoon I did the next upgrade - based on Windows and linked to AD. There are no complaints so far 😉
Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

We have upgraded 2 days ago GW server, mobility, messenger and web.

We had an issue after the installation. We use dns instead of ip addresses on our post offices and after the installation, the admin console was reporting all PO were not comunicating because during the installation, the PO adresses were with "", instead of server.company.com it were like "server.company.com" so that wasn't working.

We also had to force the --mtpinaddress in each post office startup file or the post office wouldn't work properly.

After a few hours of the installation we had the mobility crashing 1 post office leaving it with 80 hung soap threads and no one in that post office were able to login via web. However users in that postoffice could use the windows client just fine.

We have an open SR for this mobility issue.

Vítor Matos

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Well just now I had an open SR because of LDAP SSL.

I did not do the upgrade but I have to take of some issues afterwards. It seems that there can be a problem if a post office gets its passwords from LDAP and a configured LDAP connection is based on SSL. Sometimes POA has a problem to read certificates. Downgrading to insecure LDAP (389) will solve the problem in the meantime ...

If you are in this situation please open a SR.

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@Matos 

Would you give me the SR number? 

Thanks,

Pam

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Take a look at this TID to see if it helps.  There were some changes made to the security stack and you may need a new line added to your start up file.

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7024926

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

PAM: SR is 101318751501

Bert: the problem is not inbound but POA outbound. Strange enough that synchronization is working but not authentication.

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@Rimser 

Thanks Diethmar!

Pam

0 Likes
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hello,

the SR is # 101318584971

We had already a session with Peter Cajka but feel free to peak around too.

Vítor Matos

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@Matos 

Thanks Vitor!

Pam

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.