Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

GroupWise 18.3 upgrade - success or fail

Jump to solution

I have upgraded the first environments to GroupWise 18.3. My own has been upgraded almost a month ago, some others I have upgraded a week ago - the last one - a large one - 30 minutes ago.

I did not have any troubles - GroupWise troubles. If hard discs are out of disc space, it  is not GroupWise related 😎!

Do not forget that you can still stay on WebAccess 18.2.1 because you need features which the new web client cannot offer now.

How are your experiences? How are your impressions?

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
0 Likes
30 Replies
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I can't find any place where logs are stored in the new groupwise web client.

Can you enlight me on this? I'm trying to find the root cause of this issues, trying to find which problematic user mailboxes are causing this but can't find any logs for groupwise web.

Thanks.

Vítor Matos

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Sorry Pam, I have sent the LDAP SR but you wanted Matos' SR 😉
Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@Rimser 

No worries.  We did discuss yours at length this morning in our meeting to review defects 🙂  It was nice to know the SR number to make sure it was the same one.

Pam

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

@Matosif you aren't already aware, you need to use the docker logs command as they are just using standard docker logging and not a logging driver.  This dumps them like a cat command and can pipe to a file

example: docker logs containername > \path\to\host\output.log

https://docs.docker.com/config/containers/logging/

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

the actual upgrade procedure went flawlessly as usual on sles 15 sp 2. same with gms.

issues found:

1. systemd gwha not working, although following KB7024943 (SR 101318547751, waiting for response)

2. manipulating the monitor.xml file won't survive a rcgrpwise-ma restart. there is no chance to add

<HTTP_SSL_CERT value="/home/rtse/tools/sslcert/server.crt" />
<HTTP_SSL_KEY value="/home/rtse/tools/sslcert/server.key" />

after a restart the xml file has been reverted to default.

if <HTTP_SSL_REQUIRED value="1" /> there should be at least the above 2 lines to add a cert and key.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<OPTIONS>
	<FILE_VERSION value="2" upgrade_allowed="1" />
	<HOME_PATH path="/mail/dom" />
	<HOME_MTA address="" port="7100" />
	<LANG value="en" />
	<HTTP>
		<HTTP_POLL_CYCLE value="300" /> 
		<HTTP_PORT value="8200" /> 
		<HTTP_BROWSER_REFRESH value="300" /> 
		<HTTP_NEW_BROWSER value="0" /> 
		<HTTP_AUTHENTICATE value="1" /> 
		<HTTP_USER	value="i3wsadna9dasdkl" />
		<HTTP_POLL_USER	value="i3wsadna9dasdkl" />
		<HTTP_SSL_REQUIRED value="1" /> 
	</HTTP>
	<SNMP>
		<SNMP_COMMUNITY value="public" />
		<SNMP_POLL_CYCLE value="300" />
		<SNMP_NUM_RETRIES value="2" />
		<SNMP_TIME_OUT	value="30" />
		<SNMP_FORCE_SNMP value="0" />
	</SNMP>
	<LOG>
		<LOG_PATH path="/var/log/novell/groupwise/gwmon" />
		<LOG_DISK size="5120" age="7" />
		<LOG_HISTORY size="5120" age="7" />
		<LOG_ACCOUNTING size="10240" age="7" />
		<LOG_ACCOUNTING_PATH path="/var/log/novell/groupwise/gwmon/acct" />
		<LOG_EDITOR value="" />
	</LOG>
	<NOTIFY>
		<NOTIFY_LIST value="" />
		<NOTIFY_DOMAIN_NAME value="" />
		<NOTIFY_RELAY_ADDRESS value="" />
		<NOTIFY_SNMP_TRAP value="FALSE" />
		<NOTIFY_SNMP_TRAP_TARGET value="" />
		<NOTIFY_RESET value="900"/>
		<NOTIFY_OPTIONS  value="-1" /> 
		<NOTIFY_PERIODIC value="0" />
		<NOTIFY_MIN_THRESHOLD value="0" />
	</NOTIFY>
	<TRACE>
		<TRACE_LISTEN_PORT value="0" />
		<TRACE_FREQUENCY  value="300" />
		<TRACE_AGENTS  value="FALSE" />
		<TRACE_ACTIVE  value="FALSE" />
	</TRACE>
	<GROUPS  expanded="FALSE" subgroup="FALSE">
	</GROUPS>
</OPTIONS>

3. name completion is broken for some contacts that have contact photos. (SR 101318013141, waiting for response)

4. not sure if all day events now work when created and launching on different DST. (created an all day event on winter time for a date in summer time.

5. dsapp not working until running dsapp --clear. the problem is, if you don't run update.sh before changing config values through web-ui, those changes won't be saved. this only  affects the config section of web ui. users still can be added and edited (folder or address book sync)

6. mcheck produces massive sync errors if proxy folders are enabled in gms. re-init doesn't fix it.

there might be more. but those are really annoying. 

Norman
BahSIG Bahn-Signalbau GmbH
0 Likes
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
@RaveNet thank you, thats what i wanted.
However i only see access logging, it doesn't show any communication problem from gw web <-> groupwise system.
I've raised the log level from warn to debug but still can't see any error logging.

Vítor Matos
0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

@MatosI'd open a ticket with support.  I'd be curious to see if something else is needed to log gwweb errors themselves, I've honestly never looked.

0 Likes
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

We are experiencing serious problems regarding soap sessions with this version.

We are seeing 2 postoffices reaching 80 soap threads and making mobility and gw web unavailable.

With the 18.2.1 we had some soap crashes but they were resolved by adding the --spawnsoap switch, but now it seems its not doing anywhing.

The post office starts to open soap threads like crazy but it doesn't seems to crash so de spawnsoap doesn't spawn anything. If i go to the post office web console -> configuration -> spawn soap options then click on the Restart Remote SOAP Process, it starts working again.

Vítor Matos

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I just upgraded 2014R2 to 18.3 and had some issues that needed a SR to help with.

When upgrading the secondary domain, in the browser I got an error

"Unable to upgrade object (The Primary Domain needs to be updated prior to updating this domain.  Error code is: 56166)"

The primary domain was updated first without any issues, and the MTA/POA logs reflected the correct newer version, yet this problem needed an SR for me to get past.

--

Gordon

0 Likes
Vice Admiral Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I just updated succesfully from 18.1.2  (FTF Release) to latest 18.2.1 FTF Relaese as I wanted the latest old Webaccess.

I just got the latest 18.3 FTF Client to resolve BUG#1173864. I will do the update within the next days.

One last question: When updating from 18.1.2 to 18.2 I also had to update the DB with https://primary_domain_server:9710/gwadmin-console/install

Do I have to do the same when updating from 18.2.1 to 18.3 or will installation of rpms only be enough?

Best regards

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Upgrade to 18.3 (on Linux) -> no problems at all. Smooth and without any downsides. I've done several now.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
You have to do the same steps. Upgrading the binaries is not enough ...
Diethmar Rimser
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.