RichardsonRS Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GroupWise 2012 POA Agent Log Files restart about every min

I have a GroupWise 2012 POA Agent running on Linux (12.0.2-108211) whose log files are rolling over about every minute or so. It appears that the HA agent is "restarting" the POA and causing the roll over. I state this based entirely on the timing of the roll over.

When I go to the server and run a status on the GroupWise Agents, the POA says unused. I have done searches on this "issue," but the case in the gwha.conf file is correct and hasn't changed. I have only been here for a 6 weeks and am unsure how long this has been going on.

A ps -eaf | grep poa shows the agent has been running since the last reboot of the server on Oct 25th so I know the HA isn't actually restarting the POA.

What am I missing?

Rhonda
Labels (2)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: GroupWise 2012 POA Agent Log Files restart about every m

Some updated information. I was able to determine the issue is that the po.dom.pid file was not created in /var/run/novell/groupwise/ location. I was able to manually create the file with the correct pid and the agent now reports "running" when I do a status on it. Once I did that, the log also stopped cycling every minute. So I know it is the HA that is causing that. I guess the real problem is, why did my pid file not get created???
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Rhonda,

You say, in your original post, that this system is running on Linux. Kindly indicate what version and support pack you are running.

From the command prompt of the server: cat /etc/*release

Post the output here.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Rhonda,

Further to what I've said above, you may also want to take a look at this TID: Support | GroupWise Agents status on Linux is unused

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thank you for the response. Below are the OS/OES version information for that server.

OS Revision Linux: Release 3.0.93-0.5-default
OES Version: Novell Open Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64)

As for the TID you suggested, I have already looked at that and verified that the gwha.conf file is configured correctly with the correct case.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Rhonda,

Perhaps paste a copy of your gwha.conf file here for us to take a look at?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Absent Member.

The gwha.conf file from this server:

[gwha]
ssl = no
key =
cert =
password =

[DCPO2.DCDOM]
server = /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwpoa
command = /etc/init.d/grpwise
startup = /groupwise/dcpo2/groupwise/agents/share/dcpo2.poa
delay = 2
wait = 240

And for comparison sake, here is the gwha.conf file from a different GW server that is properly creating the PID file on startup.

[gwha]
ssl = no
key =
cert =
password =

[DCPO5.DCDOM]
startup = /groupwise/dcpo5/groupwise/agents/share/dcpo5.poa
delay = 2
wait = 240

[TestPO.DCDOM]
startup = /groupwise/testpo/groupwise/agents/share/testpo.poa
delay = 2
wait = 240

[DCDOM]
server = /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwmta
startup = /groupwise/dcdom/groupwise/agents/share/dcdom.mta
delay = 2
wait = 240
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Just a quick question.... are your PO and Domain names really in capital letters? I see that your startup files are all lowercase.

Just checking on the basics.

Cheeers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Yes, they are really all in capital letters (and the second one included in my previous message works). I didn't create the system, I only support it. 🙂
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Rhonda,

Gosh, then I am not sure what could be causing the issue. I am curious to know what would happen with a full system reboot - if you ever get a chance to do that, kindly post back your findings here, or anything else that you find that could lead to the resolution of this issue.

Sorry that I can't be of more assistance 😞

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

For starters, post the caption of the POA log which includes the actual configuration settings being used.
Then look at the log setting indicated, e.g:

19:42:47 F45E Log Settings:
19:42:47 F45E Log Level: Verbose
19:42:47 F45E Disk Logging: Enabled
19:42:47 F45E Log Directory: /var/log/novell/groupwise/Staff.poa
19:42:47 F45E Maximum Log File Age: 32 Days
19:42:47 F45E Maximum Log Disk Space: 1048576 KB

If the logging is set to verbose or debug it can roll the logs quite frequently.

What is the SIZE of the logs? Are they essentially the same? ls -lia and show us a few examples. It could be "they" have set ( in Console One ) some very small log size? ( Though I though the logs were 1MB in size by default? )

The POA can do a soft restart in response to a change in configuration. In that case, the process ID might not actually change.

Do you see any symptoms on the clients? Slowness, errors?

-- Bob
0 Likes
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

As a practical matter the HA stuff is ( ahem ) garbage. I wrote a little script that does this in a more reliable way looking for the process names rather than PID and works pretty much flawlessly. I've posted my own previously on a couple occasions and I know that David has made some changes to the RC scripts which make them work properly. IMO, a script in the cron looking for a viable agent is better than having yet another agent doing this.

But as you say, if the process has been running for days / weeks, its not the HA thats doing it, as you would get a new PID and the process sould not be running for days.

-- Bob
0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GroupWise 2012 POA Agent Log Files restart about every min

Bob-O-Rama wrote:

> I wrote a
> little script that does this in a more reliable way looking for the process
> names rather than PID and works pretty much flawlessly.

Me too. The only obvious advantage is that for the GWHA, you just take down
monitor if you want to work on things. Otherwise you have to remember to stop
the cron jobs.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
GroupWise 2014 is just around the corner - will you be ready?
http://bit.ly/cat-gw2014

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.