Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
5320 views

GroupWise 8 and Outlook 2007

Does GroupWise 8 provide the connector for Outlook 2007?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GroupWise 8 and Outlook 2007

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 22:26:01 +0000, gferguson wrote:

> Does GroupWise 8 provide the connector for Outlook 2007?


No. There is no connector for Outlook 2007.



--
Joe Marton
Novell Knowledge Partner

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GroupWise 8 and Outlook 2007

Thank you for your response. We are currently on GroupWise 7, and some users us the connector for Outlook 2003. If we upgrade to GroupWise 8 will they still be able to use the Outlook 2003 connector, or does GroupWise 8 not support the Outlook Connector at all?
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GroupWise 8 and Outlook 2007

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:16:01 +0000, gferguson wrote:

> Thank you for your response. We are currently on GroupWise 7, and some
> users us the connector for Outlook 2003. If we upgrade to GroupWise 8
> will they still be able to use the Outlook 2003 connector, or does
> GroupWise 8 not support the Outlook Connector at all?


You can use the GW7 connector against a GW8 backend. Just don't install
the GW8 client on those machines.



--
Joe Marton
Novell Knowledge Partner

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GroupWise 8 and Outlook 2007

On 2/19/2010 9:31 AM, Joseph Marton wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:16:01 +0000, gferguson wrote:
>
>> Thank you for your response. We are currently on GroupWise 7, and some
>> users us the connector for Outlook 2003. If we upgrade to GroupWise 8
>> will they still be able to use the Outlook 2003 connector, or does
>> GroupWise 8 not support the Outlook Connector at all?

>
> You can use the GW7 connector against a GW8 backend. Just don't install
> the GW8 client on those machines.
>
>
>

I would agree that I would keep a GW 7 client there, but AFAIK Joseph
the GW8 install will not remove the GW 7 connector. At least that was
mentioned way back when...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: GroupWise 8 and Outlook 2007

Michael,

Michael Bell wrote:
> I would agree that I would keep a GW 7 client there, but AFAIK Joseph
> the GW8 install will not remove the GW 7 connector.


How would it not? The connector is a subset of the client, and you could
never have different GW client versions on one machine. It's totally
impossible to have the GW7 connector (equals 90% of a GW7 client minus
the GUI) and a GW8 client on the same PC.

> At least that was
> mentioned way back when...


By whom?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GroupWise 8 and Outlook 2007

On 2/21/2010 4:53 PM, Massimo Rosen wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Michael Bell wrote:
>> I would agree that I would keep a GW 7 client there, but AFAIK Joseph
>> the GW8 install will not remove the GW 7 connector.

>
> How would it not? The connector is a subset of the client, and you could
> never have different GW client versions on one machine. It's totally
> impossible to have the GW7 connector (equals 90% of a GW7 client minus
> the GUI) and a GW8 client on the same PC.
>
>> At least that was
>> mentioned way back when...

>
> By whom?
>
> CU,


1. You could install the Outlook Connector for GW 7 completely
separately from the GW client. That WAS an install option though see #2

2. It was either alex or dean in their blog. It's possible that I
misunderstood them when they said "the outlook connector will continue
to be supported in GW8" as meaning only with the GW7 client.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GroupWise 8 and Outlook 2007

On 2/21/2010 6:24 PM, Michael Bell wrote:
> On 2/21/2010 4:53 PM, Massimo Rosen wrote:
>> Michael,
>>
>> Michael Bell wrote:
>>> I would agree that I would keep a GW 7 client there, but AFAIK Joseph
>>> the GW8 install will not remove the GW 7 connector.

>>
>> How would it not? The connector is a subset of the client, and you could
>> never have different GW client versions on one machine. It's totally
>> impossible to have the GW7 connector (equals 90% of a GW7 client minus
>> the GUI) and a GW8 client on the same PC.
>>
>>> At least that was
>>> mentioned way back when...

>>
>> By whom?
>>
>> CU,

>
> 1. You could install the Outlook Connector for GW 7 completely
> separately from the GW client. That WAS an install option though see #2
>
> 2. It was either alex or dean in their blog. It's possible that I
> misunderstood them when they said "the outlook connector will continue
> to be supported in GW8" as meaning only with the GW7 client.
>

or this from the readme The GroupWise Connector for Microsoft Outlook is
not included with GroupWise 8. If you already have the GroupWise 7
Outlook Connector, you can use it to access your GroupWise 8 mailbox.

ambiguous.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: GroupWise 8 and Outlook 2007

Michael

Michael Bell wrote:
>
> 1. You could install the Outlook Connector for GW 7 completely
> separately from the GW client.


Well, I wouldn't call that "seperately". If you install the outlook
connector and the GW7 client on one PC, you don't end up with 200%
software, but at best with 105%. +90% of the two is identical as I said.
If you add a GW7 client to an existing OL connector install, only a
minimal set of files get added to what's already there. If you add the
OL connector to an already installed GW client, no GW core files are
touched at all, as they're all there already. It merely configured
Outlook properly.

> 2. It was either alex or dean in their blog. It's possible that I
> misunderstood them when they said "the outlook connector will continue
> to be supported in GW8" as meaning only with the GW7 client.


Yes, that's what they meant. You can still use the same (GW7 based) OL
connector. But you can't install a GW8 (or a 6.5 for that matter) client
on the same machine.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.