Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
9555269 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GroupWise 8 backup and restore using BackupExec 2010

I have a GroupWise 8 deployment (relatively recently patched) on OES2/SLES10 (also relatively newly patched)

We are backing it up with a Windows Server 2008 based install of BE2010. The backup and restore run without error, but the restored files are sparse files.

Symantec technical support is TOTALLY @#&$* USELESS since no one there can even spell GroupWise.

Is anyone out there backing up GroupWise with BE2010? If so, have you successfully tested a restore?

Anybody know anyone at Symantec that has a #@&$* clue?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GroupWise 8 backup and restore using BackupExec 2010

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
izgoblin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

9555269;2102730 wrote:
Is anyone out there backing up GroupWise with BE2010? If so, have you successfully tested a restore?

I am backing up Groupwise on SLES 10 SP2 with BE2010 on Windows 2003. The backups appear to run fine but to be honest we haven't yet tested a restore. We are scheduled to do that soon. Sorry I can't be of help, but your message has me worried now. I certainly expected to have database inconsistencies occur during the backup, but I figured I could live with them as long as the bulk of the messages were available. (We also have a Retain archive which can be backed up more easily.)

I'm curious though... when you say the restored files are "sparse files", what do you mean exactly? Are you seeing that the backup is backing up as many bytes of data as you would expect but then when you do a restore the files are 0 bytes? Are you backing up the entire domain and post office directories directly? Just FYI, I do not choose the option in BE2010 to back up database files "using a lock".
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

9555269;2102730 wrote:
I have a GroupWise 8 deployment (relatively recently patched) on OES2/SLES10 (also relatively newly patched)

We are backing it up with a Windows Server 2008 based install of BE2010. The backup and restore run without error, but the restored files are sparse files.

Symantec technical support is TOTALLY @#&$* USELESS since no one there can even spell GroupWise.

Anybody know anyone at Symantec that has a #@&$* clue?

Haven't done the combo BE2010 & OES2... I am wondering if you are doing the backup over TSA or via native Linux backup? We are mostly using Tivoli TSM or HP Dataprotector, and both do a good job running native Linux backups (so no TSA/GWTSA).

Another option could be to add a step utilizing dbcopy to fill a consistent backup volume, then back that up - again using native Linux format.

- Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.