Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GroupWise 8 to 2012 upgrade

I am a GroupWise system, version 8.0.3HP3. Two SuSE10 boxes, one runs the primary domain, post office and gwia. The other runs a secondary domain and webaccess. All data is currently on NSS volumes and will be moved to EXT3 in the move. I have built two new SuSE11sp3 servers that will handle the new functions for these boxes. I have already done a preliminary copy of the domain and post offices to the new server using dbcopy. I plan to take the system down this weekend and do the final copy using -i switch. Once I get the data over, I plan to upgrade it to 2012. I also plan to move the ip addresses to the new boxes so no change there. Only change will be the path on the objects. My question is when should I make the path changes on the objects in C1? Should I do the final move and then login locally on the new boxes using C1 and connect to domain there and modify it before I bring it back online and upgrade, or should I make the change before I move it while the system is live and let it start arguing about it and take it down. I have done that before when changing ip addresses, changing them before I take them down so the change takes effect. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GroupWise 8 to 2012 upgrade

jlewter wrote:

> I am a GroupWise system, version 8.0.3HP3. Two SuSE10 boxes, one runs
> the primary domain, post office and gwia. The other runs a secondary
> domain and webaccess. All data is currently on NSS volumes and will be
> moved to EXT3 in the move. I have built two new SuSE11sp3 servers
> that will handle the new functions for these boxes. I have already
> done a preliminary copy of the domain and post offices to the new
> server using dbcopy. I plan to take the system down this weekend and
> do the final copy using -i switch. Once I get the data over, I plan
> to upgrade it to 2012. I also plan to move the ip addresses to the
> new boxes so no change there. Only change will be the path on the
> objects. My question is when should I make the path changes on the
> objects in C1? Should I do the final move and then login locally on
> the new boxes using C1 and connect to domain there and modify it
> before I bring it back online and upgrade, or should I make the
> change before I move it while the system is live and let it start
> arguing about it and take it down. I have done that before when
> changing ip addresses, changing them before I take them down so the
> change takes effect. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

This doesn't answer your question, but just keep in mind that the
release of GW2014 is slated for by the end of Q1 so it may make sense
to hold off just a bit and go straight to 2014.

--
Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
We know what your world looks like. http://www.novell.com/yourworld/

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, I am aware of it, but upper management want to move ahead with just 2012 for now so that is the task I have to do.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

jlewter;2308099 wrote:
...Should I do the final move and then login locally on the new boxes using C1 and connect to domain there and modify it before I bring it back online and upgrade,...

That's what I'd do. Those paths are to be able to do COne administration on your domain, postoffice and agent objects. The agents themselves don't worry themselves about the path set on the domain and postoffice object, the only look at the start/home path defined in the agent cfg file.

On a side note, the SLES OS should be 64bit at this point. 2012 agents still run on 32bit systems, but the 2014 agents are 64bit only.

Curious, the current SLES10 version has OES2 ontop.... You are choosing to move to just plain SLES11, or will OES11 also be on top?

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So you would move it all first, then launch C1 before bring agents back up, modify them to show updated path, and then bring them up upgrading the version then? Yes, the new servers at SLES11sp3 64bit. If we go to 2014 down the road we will be ready. Yes, we are moving to just plain SLES, no OES. No need for it on these boxes.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

jlewter;2308256 wrote:
So you would move it all first, then launch C1 before bring agents back up, modify them to show updated path, and then bring them up upgrading the version then?

Yep, that's what I'd do.

jlewter;2308256 wrote:
Yes, the new servers at SLES11sp3 64bit. If we go to 2014 down the road we will be ready. Yes, we are moving to just plain SLES, no OES. No need for it on these boxes.

Ok, that is a viable choice. It can still be handy to have OES services on there though, depending on how your clients (and you as admin) are connecting and if you are also hosting a restore area on the same server (as NCP/CIFS services can give user seamless access to that).

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Going to make a little change, Going to move data over. Once over, going to go into C1 and modify the primary domain for the new path. Once that is done, going to modify the post office, which is on the same box, path and then edit the secondary domain path as well. Then I am going to rebuild them and copy the new db's to the locations. Then I am going to bring the agents up one at a time upgrading in the process. That way the path chang will already be written to the db file for each.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

jlewter;2308518 wrote:
Going to make a little change, Going to move data over. Once over, going to go into C1 and modify the primary domain for the new path. Once that is done, going to modify the post office, which is on the same box, path and then edit the secondary domain path as well. Then I am going to rebuild them and copy the new db's to the locations. Then I am going to bring the agents up one at a time upgrading in the process. That way the path chang will already be written to the db file for each.

You can do that... Yet do note that the path in the domain and po objects (that are shown in COne) don't have a relation with the 8 to 2012 database upgrade procedure. You could actually make this more prone to error - the human error type (as I understand you are planning on rebuilding on the source side and then copying over the database manually after already having done the bulk copy?)... 🙂

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Understand. I just know if I move the data over, copy in the dc files and do the upgrade that is fine on that end. But allot of times things like path, ip address have a hard time coming over, so that is why once I move things over I plan to modify the path logged in to server with primary domain since that will be written directly to db. Once I do that, I plan to modify paths of po and sec domain. Once I do that, I plan to rebuild connected to primary domain and copy those files to respected location, then do the upgrade. I know this really doesn't have anything to do with upgrade, but will help with what C1 sees and the agents talking to each other.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

jlewter;2308534 wrote:
Understand. I just know if I move the data over, copy in the dc files and do the upgrade that is fine on that end. But allot of times things like path, ip address have a hard time coming over, so that is why once I move things over I plan to modify the path logged in to server with primary domain since that will be written directly to db. Once I do that, I plan to modify paths of po and sec domain. Once I do that, I plan to rebuild connected to primary domain and copy those files to respected location, then do the upgrade. I know this really doesn't have anything to do with upgrade, but will help with what C1 sees and the agents talking to each other.

Ok & clear on that. You know what fits where (deducted from what you posted), so all that's left to do know is wish you a good, switch move & upgrade! 🙂

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.