UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GroupWise 8 to 2014 R2 Upgrade - Special

Have a unique upgrade planned for a site. Site is small 100 user GroupWise system running on GroupWise 8 on SuSE10. Have already migrated the data to new box for first copy. I want to take the ip address of the current GW box with me once I do the final copy. The problem is that the GW users are still tied to the edirectory backend. Site does not use edirectory for anything. Users login with GW passwords, not edirectory. The edirectory on the backend is not in a good way as well. Someone in the past did a bad job of a upgrade and now the old server and new server both show in edirectory. I really don't even want to get into that side of the house so what I was thinking was disassociating all the users from their edirectory counterpart. Once that is done, do the final copy and then go right into the upgrade of the primary domain, post office and install the new webaccess. I am trying to see if this should work and if I am missing anything in the process as well. If I migrate to new box and just shut down the old box with edirectory on it I just don't want any complications, that was why I thought I could just disassociate the GW accounts from the edirectory side thus breaking the connection. Other than disassociating the accounts, is there anything else I should do beforehand we go in to the upgrade? There is no need for edirectory beyond anyway so I figure I'd be knocking two things out with one stone. Anyone have and thoughts on comments on this?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
19 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

GroupWise 8 was totally reliant on eDir. You are going to have to do the migration, which pulls the LDAP/eDir Server information across into the GroupWise 2014 settings. You will need to disassociate the users after the migration and then remove the LDAP server configuration.

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yeah I recall that being dependent, but I tested an account by disassociating it from it's edirectory counterpart and I could still login to it successfully from client and webmail. The problem I got is I want to take the ip address on the current GW server with me after I shutdown the old box, but since that box also holds the messed up edirectory structure I can't if I have to leave edirectory in place. That is why I was hoping I could just disassociate all of the accounts, migrate the data over, and then do the migration thus bringing the ip address with me. If I can't then I am going to have to go with new ip address on migration.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

In GroupWise 8 disassociating a user from eDir created an external entity still linked back to an eDir object. These associations will pull through on your migration and you will still need to go through the disassociation process after your upgrade.

As for the IP address I recommend that you install the server on a new IP address and then after the old box is shut down add that IP address as a secondary and configure your GroupWise agents to use the secondary IP address and ensure that you tick "bind exclusive". That way, in future, you can just move the secondary IP from server to server and never have to worry about it again.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That's not a bad idea, but my problem still lies in that old box still holds the edirectory. I can't turn it off till after the migration/upgrade, thus it will have to use the new ip address for the upgrade. Once it is upgraded it will still have that tie to edirectory, or am I missing something.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I would do the migration and upgrade on the new IP. Remove the LDAP information from GroupWise 2014 after the upgrade. Shut down the old box. Move the IP as a secondary to the new box. Reconfigure your GroupWise agents to use the secondary IP.

Perhaps I'm missing something in your questions - please advise.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No I think you are reading me correctly. So migrate the data and do the upgrade on the new ip address. Once done, remove LDAP information from GroupWise and move the ip address over to the new box as secondary ip and reconfigure the agents. How bad of a process is removing the LDAP association in 2014? I haven't gone through that process before.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <jlewter.7vapuo@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Jlewter wrote:
> That's not a bad idea, but my problem still lies in that old box still
> holds the edirectory. I can't turn it off till after the
> migration/upgrade, thus it will have to use the new ip address for the
> upgrade. Once it is upgraded it will still have that tie to edirectory,
> or am I missing something.

Leave eDir on the old box, you don't need it on the new box as it will
still be able to talk to the old box over the wire. Then once GroupWise
is upgraded to 2014, then you can disassociate the GW users from eDir and
say goodbye to the old box.
You didn't mention what OS to what OS this migration is taking, there are
some small but significant differences along the way depending on where
you are coming from.

The docs cover hunks of the process
https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014r2/gw2014_guide_svrmig/
data/ab32nt1.html
and Danita & Paul's book gets you everything you need
http://postie.caledonia.net/store/index.php?
route=product/product&product_id=206

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

You can mass disassociate users, see here: https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/cool_tools/dissociate-users-directory-groupwise-2014/

The in the Admin Console go to the LDAP servers option and delete the "old" LDAP/eDir server.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yeah, I think that is what I am going to be stuck with as a path. I was hoping I could disassociate before, but follow what your saying. I will leave the edirectory in place and then move the data and upgrade on new ip address. Once that is done, I will remove the association to LDAP. So by simply deleting the LDAP servers in the admin console it takes care of the whole process?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Old box is SuSE 10, new box is SuSE11 SP4.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

First use the tool I pointed you to in order to disassociate your users and that turns them into GroupWise only accounts. Then delete the LDAP server.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.