UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GroupWise 8 to 2014 R2 Upgrade - Special

Have a unique upgrade planned for a site. Site is small 100 user GroupWise system running on GroupWise 8 on SuSE10. Have already migrated the data to new box for first copy. I want to take the ip address of the current GW box with me once I do the final copy. The problem is that the GW users are still tied to the edirectory backend. Site does not use edirectory for anything. Users login with GW passwords, not edirectory. The edirectory on the backend is not in a good way as well. Someone in the past did a bad job of a upgrade and now the old server and new server both show in edirectory. I really don't even want to get into that side of the house so what I was thinking was disassociating all the users from their edirectory counterpart. Once that is done, do the final copy and then go right into the upgrade of the primary domain, post office and install the new webaccess. I am trying to see if this should work and if I am missing anything in the process as well. If I migrate to new box and just shut down the old box with edirectory on it I just don't want any complications, that was why I thought I could just disassociate the GW accounts from the edirectory side thus breaking the connection. Other than disassociating the accounts, is there anything else I should do beforehand we go in to the upgrade? There is no need for edirectory beyond anyway so I figure I'd be knocking two things out with one stone. Anyone have and thoughts on comments on this?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
19 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry, meant to add that part and forgot. Gotcha. Thanks for your help.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I haven't used that tool before, but will download it and check it out. I haven't checked yet, but I assume you can still disassociate users in the admin tool as well, like how you did in the C1 days.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Yes, in the Admin Console you can disassociate users, but only one at a time hence my recommendation of the tool 😉

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That is what I thought. I don't think I have had the option yet in 2014 to do so, but figured the option was still there. I will definitely check the tool out. Thanks again.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Spoke to some today at Micro Focus about it. Basically they told me that I could do the full migraton of data, shutdown the old GW server which houses their edirectroy as well, and put the ip address from it on the new server and do the upgrade. They said since I am already doing GW authentication, that the MTA synch will fail but it will not cause any issues on the upgrade or the working system. They also said I can disassociate the LDAP servers and accounts after the fact successfully without the edirectory in place to talk too. Has anyone tried this before?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Yes, you don't need the eDir server to be in place/running in order to do the disassociation and LDAP server removal from your GroupWise system.

What's been proposed seems very workable, but no I haven't done this before!

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The one hangup I had with it was two things. If there would be any issue bringing the system back online with the edirectory server offline and breaking the disassociation from edirectory with it being offline. Definetely doing to be best route I think with this approach.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Sorry for the slow response 😞 There is no issue with doing the dissociation with the eDir server offline.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.