Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

GroupWise Clients unable to empty trash

We are experiencing an issue with our GroupWise 2014 email clients and webaccess accounts not being able to empty trash. The webaccess accounts provides the "empty trash" icon. When the icon is clicked it appears as if the trash is being emptied. However, upon it refreshing, the emails reappear in the trash. As for the individual email clients installed on our Windows 7 computers, the empty trash option does not clear out either. I have our GroupWise server running on a fully patched SLES 11 SP3 and the GW version information shows:
novell-groupwise-gwmon-14.0.1-117118
novell-groupwise-monitor-webapp-14.0.1-117118
novell-groupwise-calhost-webapp-14.0.1-117118
novell-groupwise-gwha-14.0.1-117118
novell-groupwise-webaccess-webapp-14.0.1-117118
novell-groupwise-server-14.0.1-117118

All of our GroupWise accounts, webaccess and client based, were able to empty trash as needed when using GW2012. Suggestions? Thanks in advance for those suggestions!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: GroupWise Clients unable to empty trash

Did you check the client options?
https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014/gw2014_guide_admin/data/adm_cli_opts_set.html#adm_cli_opts_env_cleanup

"Do not purge items until they are backed up..."

--
Novell Knowledge Associate
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Bucksfeld,

Thank you for responding. Yes, I confirmed our settings was set for manual rather than the automatic deletion. They appear in GW Adminstration just like in the manual.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So "Do not purge items until they are backed up..." is NOT checked? Did you confirm this on a user, PO and domain level?

Uwe

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Uwe,

Yes, the "Do not purge items until they are backed up..." is not checked. I confirmed it on all 3 levels.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dmantz wrote on 10/03/2014 03:36 PM:
> Yes, the "Do not purge items until they are backed up..." is not
> checked. I confirmed it on all 3 levels.

For testing purposes, I'd check it for one user, save, uncheck again.

What do you see in the POA log when you empty the trash?

Uwe

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

dmantz;2335432 wrote:
Uwe,

Yes, the "Do not purge items until they are backed up..." is not checked. I confirmed it on all 3 levels.

Not sure about this one, but IIRC it could also be that one of the trusted application keys has retention set and that is what's forcing the setting. Do you have something like an archiving solution in place that might not be releasing/timestamping archived items?

Curious though, if you update the timestamps for the users (/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwtmstmp -s -p /path/to/po), are you then able to purge items in the trash?

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

As reference the section in the online docs about message retention: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014/gw2014_guide_admin/data/adm_db_message_retention.html

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.