kheinz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GroupWise User address book restore question

I have never had to pull from a backup for anything on GroupWise so I am not sure what I need to bring back. I have setup the restore area but I am wondering if I need to restore the whole Post office directory to the restore area or just some databases?

I moved a user from one post office to another and now that user said that he is missing contacts out of his address books.

Just wondering,
Ken
Labels (1)
0 Likes
21 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: GroupWise User address book restore question

Hi Ken,

You will need to do an entire PO restore to your restore area. Address books are stored in the user DB so that is what you are ultimately looking for. Once the user can access the restore area, export the address book (.nab file) and then you are able to import into their "live" mailbox.

Yes, there are "dirty" work arounds, but I'm loathe to suggest them as they are fraught with potentially introducing more problems!

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
kheinz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley;2342577 wrote:
Hi Ken,

You will need to do an entire PO restore to your restore area. Address books are stored in the user DB so that is what you are ultimately looking for. Once the user can access the restore area, export the address book (.nab file) and then you are able to import into their "live" mailbox.

Yes, there are "dirty" work arounds, but I'm loathe to suggest them as they are fraught with potentially introducing more problems!

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers

Am I going to have issues cause the user used to be on a post office on a straight linux box, now he has been moved to a Post Office with a different name on an OES 11 box?

The reason I ask is that I get the error 8219 Failed to connect to a remote network source, when browsing to the restore area.

Sincerely,
Ken
0 Likes
kheinz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Looking at the POA log file, the path is showing path need to access an OES drive from the Windows computer. It lacks the /media/nss in the path.

Sincerely,
Ken
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi

The path that the POA accesses for the restore area is relative to the POA. So, where is your restore area, what server OS,? And, where is your POA and on what server OS? What kind of connection exists between the two?

Let us know.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi

Further to what I've said above, you may want to take a look at this TID: http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7002221

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
elagrew Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley;2342666 wrote:
Hi

Further to what I've said above, you may want to take a look at this TID: http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7002221

Cheers,

It's really a pain...I wish that Novell would make it easier to restore file than restoring the whole post office...there are 3rd part players that have this down pretty good...I think Novell should take a hint and see if they can incorporate some of that functionality into their product...IMHO. 🙂

El LaGrew elbert.lagrew#katun.com elagrew on twitter
0 Likes
kheinz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We used to have our main post office on Server "A" (SLES 11 SP2) then I created a second post office on Server "B" (SLES 11 SP3 / OES 2). I Moved all users from Server "A" to Server "B" so that our POA and MTA were running on NSS drives. Server "A" still has a POA running on it, just no users are in it.

I created the restore area on the NSS drives of Server "B" /media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/restore/gwpost

So long story short - I am trying to access a backup from when this users was located on Server "A"s POA.

Sincerely,
Ken
0 Likes
kheinz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Also I forgot to add that we are using the direct link method in our GroupWise System.

Sincerely,
Ken
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:46:03 GMT, elagrew
<elagrew@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>
>laurabuckley;2342666 Wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Further to what I've said above, you may want to take a look at this
>> TID: http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7002221
>>
>> Cheers,

>
>It's really a pain...I wish that Novell would make it easier to restore
>file than restoring the whole post office...there are 3rd part players
>that have this down pretty good...I think Novell should take a hint and
>see if they can incorporate some of that functionality into their
>product...IMHO. 🙂

You're sending this thread off on a tangent... 🙂

While it would be great if every product did everything itself, I
think it is a good that there are third party products handling
backups. Novell can focus on the core of GroupWise and as long as
they provide a good API, others can handle backups. That gives people
more options to find the backup that fits their own needs. For
example, I think GWAVA Reload is the perfect answer to backups, but
not everyone will agree with me. (And no, I'm not connected with
GWAVA, I just happen to use Reload and really like it!)

Ken
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
buckesfeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kheinz wrote on 12/17/2014 07:06 PM:
> Also I forgot to add that we are using the direct link method in our
> GroupWise System.

In this case you don't need a restore area definition at all. The user needs file system rights to the restored PO, then access the restored PO via "grpwise.exe /ph-//path/to/file/system"

HTH
Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Associate
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
kheinz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

buckesfeld;2342857 wrote:
kheinz wrote on 12/17/2014 07:06 PM:
> Also I forgot to add that we are using the direct link method in our
> GroupWise System.

In this case you don't need a restore area definition at all. The user needs file system rights to the restored PO, then access the restored PO via "grpwise.exe /ph-//path/to/file/system"

HTH
Uwe

--

I tried doing the following command: C:\Users\ken>grpwise.exe /ph-\\SuseGWPri\NSS_GWISE\groupwise\restore\gwpost
The GroupWise login starts to show the IP of the old PO then flips back to the new PO. Once open, all I see is the stuff from my current mailbox.

I tried deleting a file from my current mailbox and then closing out and doing the same command but the file was still gone.

Am I doing something wrong?

Sincerely,
Ken
0 Likes
buckesfeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kheinz wrote on 12/18/2014 04:06 PM:
> I tried doing the following command: C:\Users\ken>grpwise.exe
> /ph-\\SuseGWPri\NSS_GWISE\groupwise\restore\gwpost
> The GroupWise login starts to show the IP of the old PO then flips back
> to the new PO. Once open, all I see is the stuff from my current
> mailbox.

It shouldn't show the IP at all. Did you exit Notify before you tried to connect in direct mode? Also make sure the are no zombies of notify and addrbook (task manager).

If it still tries to connect via IP, delete HKCU/Software/Novell/Groupwise/Login Parameters (and everything in it)

You may want to try a mapped network drive. Also test if the user running Groupwise has full file rights on the restored PO.

HTH
Uwe

--
0 Likes
kheinz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I must be doing something wrong. I deleted the reg key and sub-keys and logged out and back in, but it still starts to look for the OLD IP address then flips to the new PO address.

I tried doing by way of mapped and unmapped path.

Is this type of issue covered under tech support maintenance?

Sincerely,
Ken
0 Likes
kheinz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I opened a SR. I'll post back the findings.

Thanks to all for taking the time to look into this for me.

Sincerely,
Ken
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.