Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

GroupWise WebAccess and mobile devices

This post is just an information which is not really new but will help in your environment to increase WebAccess acceptance.  

I see the videos around the new web client for GroupWise and its really poor interface for mobile devices. But the poor interface is not the whole truth. You can deliver a much smarter and nicer interface for your mobile devices.

You have to edit your webacc.cfg file (/var/opt/novell/groupwise/webaccess) and search for "Templates.UserAgent.1.id". This part of the configuration file defines which mobile device will get which interface type.

I.e. this device "GT-P" will get a smart interface.
Templates.UserAgent.1.id=*Linux*Android*GT-P*
Templates.UserAgent.1.interface=mobile

However my noname Android will fall back to simple.
Templates.UserAgent.24.id=*Android*
Templates.UserAgent.24.interface=simple

Even iPhones are just simple ...
Templates.UserAgent.9.id=*iPhone*
Templates.UserAgent.9.interface=simple

However Androids and iPhones have more capabilities then ever before. So I changed my *Android* setting to mobile and my *iPhone* too. Maybe you will find some more "old" templates which you want to change. Fortunately this idea will work not only for Groupwise 18, but for GroupWise 2014R2 (and a little bit older) too. After saving my settings I restart my groupwise-tomcat ...

If someone asks for more then this - a user wants to have the really rich client on his device, tell him to use this link: https://yourserver/gw/webacc?User.interface=css

Diethmar Rimser
If you like my idea or solution, please show it and click i.e. on "Like"!
Labels (1)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.