Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

GroupWise migrate from OES Cluster to Microsoft?

Jump to solution

I have been running GroupWise for many years from NetWare to OES Clusters.  

Real advantage for me is I could install security patches on the OS and know one would notice by flipping the services from one node to the other.

Now that I'm paying more for SLES maintenance than  Windows Server licenses and Cluster licenses at 18K a year.  I questioning if the 20K a year is worth it.

Does anyone in this discussion group run GroupWise on Windows in a VMware with no performance issues or other issues?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The SLES server license provided by Microfocus to run GroupWise would include support for the OS.

This is why Microfocus and SUSE have an agreement in place to look after our joint customers and partners.
So, as long as the intention is to only use the SLES license to run GroupWise, Microfocus will always engage SUSE for OS issues.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I think a SLES license for GroupWise server is still included if I take this information:

https://community.microfocus.com/t5/GroupWise-Tips-Information/GroupWise-Entitlements/ta-p/1779881

I have some customers using GroupWise on Windows. My feeling is that Windows is slower - the main reason is GroupWise offiles directory: really a lot of files in 255 directories if your system is not small. Many files in one directories can cause a serious performance issue for some operating systems and applications. In my opinion Linux can handle this in a very good way.

One of my customers has been touched by crypto-locker viruses. All windows systems have been suffered damage. Independent of usage by users, databases or other applications. But SLES stayed cool in this environment.

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Since SUSE being sold, If you have a GroupWise server that needs OS support, You will need a SLES maintenance agreement.  

If SLES had a filesystem as stable as NSS or Windows.  I would consider going SLES, but I have seen XFS get .Trashed two to many times.

I have copied files to NSS and to Windows, normally it is my NSS is slower.

Crypto is a good argument not to do Windows, very good.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The SLES server license provided by Microfocus to run GroupWise would include support for the OS.

This is why Microfocus and SUSE have an agreement in place to look after our joint customers and partners.
So, as long as the intention is to only use the SLES license to run GroupWise, Microfocus will always engage SUSE for OS issues.

View solution in original post

Knowledge Partner
I was waiting for this, Tarik 😉
Diethmar Rimser
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Diethmar,
We aim to please 🙂😉
0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

SUSE told me last year I had to purchase maintenance, $18.5K.  I'm about ready to sign-up for another year in January.

I wonder if it is because we are on a Microfocus ALA.  Which is based on a workstation subscription model, so we don't actually own the Microfocus products. The ALA requires another $5K worth additional support we purchase.    

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Why not involve your Microfocus renewal rep in this request?
Unless you have other SLES servers which do not run Microfocus solutions?
0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I plan on it.  Our renewal for Microfocus products is due in January.

Yes we try to keep our Linux servers SLES.

Back to the technical side of the question.  I currently run NSS on my post offices because I trust the file system.  Is Ext4 or BtrFS trustworthy for my post office data?

I had a great TID/BestPractices document when I built out my domain, gateway, and webaccess servers on SLES 11.  Is there some like this for SLES 15?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

@kwhite1 I prefer ext4 or xfs. In both cases I had rare troubles with the file system; in both cases it was easy to repair. If I think of the last Microfocus appliances I have installed, it seems that MF is going to prefer XFS.

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@kwhite1 @Rimser 

We do recommend EXT4 however XFS will also work.  We totally recommend that you not use BTRFS for anything GroupWise related.

Pam

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Sounds good.
Please let us know what your renewal rep says. If you get mixed messages, please refer them back to me @
Tarik.Baki@microfocus.com
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.