jlewter Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GroupWise removal from tree

Have a site that are no longer using GroupWise. Using cloud base email now but still use their GW environment. Want to have the server holding their GW components removed and the GW objects cleared from the tree. Has anyone ever done this before and what is best approach to this? I can go in and just delete the whole thing, but will that remove all objects and attributes associated in edirectory?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Re: GroupWise removal from tree

Your second sentence says "...but still use their GW environment." So this customer is still using their GroupWise messaging system. You do not want to delete the GroupWise objects from the tree if they are still using it.
0 Likes
jlewter Absent Member.
Absent Member.

My bad, they are no longer using it.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I've recently done this for a customer. It's quite straight forward.

1. Keep all GroupWise agents running in order that they can process the changes as you go through this process.
2. Disassociate the GroupWise accounts from their eDirectory accounts.
3. Delete the disassociated GroupWise accounts - let that process through the agents.
4. Delete the Post Office object in ConsoleOne GroupWise view - but leave the agents running.
NOTE: I tend not to select the "Delete corresponding directory from the server" as I have found that can throw out errors. I clean up manually after the fact.
5. Delete the Domain object in ConsoleOne GroupWise view - see note above.
6. Once the agents have processed everything, shut them down
7. Now you can clean up the GroupWise server/system.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
jlewter Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That is basically what I came up with as well. Hard part is finding quick way to disassociated all the accounts without doing it manually. You can't highlight them all and get that feature.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Hmmm... I don't know of a quick way to mass-disassociate users. I must admit, this I did manually, but then it was a small system!

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
jlewter Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yeah me neither. I am sure there is some util out there that can do it, but haven't found it yet. Got little over a 1000 users to do.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Take a look at JRB Utilites: Utilities for Managing Netware & AD by JRB Software

They have a tool called GWLink which, as far as I can make out, will unlink objects.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
jlewter Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, I have used their tools in the past. Have nice features. I will check that out, thanks.
0 Likes
jlewter Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I got all accounts unassociated, and all accounts are deleted. I deleted all other objects under both po an domain. I deleted the mta and poa objects. Now just have domain object and post office object. When I try and delete those two they just keep saying it can't due to subordinate objects. Any idea what I could be missing.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I always delete the Post Office / Domain object - that automatically deletes the agents. You have deleted the agents. This leaves me in a position of not knowing how to assist you! You are now going to have to dig. Perhaps fire up consoleone without the group wise snap ins and see what you can see under the objects in the eDir view. It could be a GWIA or WebAcc still sitting there.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
jlewter Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I will try that. I couldnt delete the post office and domain objects since it had subordinate objects, mta, poa, gwia,etc. That is why I deleted them first. I also deleted all resources, dist lists as well. I will try and the edir view with c1 without snapins.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.