Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Groupwise/Exchange Coexistence Solution

Hope this is the correct forum for this topic. If not, I am sorry, please point to the right discussion group. My company has both Exchange and Groupwise in its environment and we need to provide a method to allow sharing of address book and calendar to all users. My understanding is that the Coexistence Solution provides that bridging. I would appreciate real life (not marketing spin) opinions as to how well the solution works, how involved the setup is, additional management effort, etc. Is it compatible Exchage 2010?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Groupwise/Exchange Coexistence Solution

Hi,

Welcome back to the forums.

Whilst I do not have personal experience of using this solution in a live environment I can provide you with the following... Exchange 2010 is supported.

As to the setup and work involved, check out this document: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014r2/gw2014_guide_exchcoexist/data/coex_front.html

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

we are running the Coexistence Solution in Production since more than two years. Works good to synchronize the System Addressbook and Exchange contacts - might bringt to light differences in how good the data in the address books is maintained. You can sync the account information and Groups from GroupWise to Exchange (2010 or 2013) or vice versa. If you look to share address books of individual users across the system it won't be possible. After setup on a MTA you might see some errors in regards to groups, as eDir and GroupWise support groups with identical name in different OU while AD does not - if these groups are needed, some cleanup work might ne needed.
Free Busy Search works fine - setup is quite straight forward and testing it is easy. For users to be able to use it, GroupWise User need access (http(s)) to the Webmail Exchange server - shouldn't be a problem. From Exchange the access point is the same.
If there are firewalls between the system, they need some rules for the Exchange Server to get access to POAs.

Long story short: We set it up back under 2012 SP2 and since it is running without much work.

If you have specific questions PM me.

regards
Mathias
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

One issue we have seen that you may need to worry about. In some cases the certificate that is used on the Exchange CAS servers may cause the F/B service to fail. Either apply a public third party cert to th exchange servers or make sure the CA cert that signed the existing certs is imported into the cert store on the F/B CAS servers.

Also, not a big deal, but just to clarify Mathias post; The CAS servers only need to communicate with the POA that is specified in the F/B application configuration. Busy/search traffic is not re-directed to other POA's, it uses message-file transfer.

--Morris

>>> MFaust<MFaust@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> 4/11/2016 11:56 PM >>>

Hi,

we are running the Coexistence Solution in Production since more than

two years. Works good to synchronize the System Addressbook and Exchange

contacts - might bringt to light differences in how good the data in the

address books is maintained. You can sync the account information and

Groups from GroupWise to Exchange (2010 or 2013) or vice versa. If you

look to share address books of individual users across the system it

won't be possible. After setup on a MTA you might see some errors in

regards to groups, as eDir and GroupWise support groups with identical

name in different OU while AD does not - if these groups are needed,

some cleanup work might ne needed.

Free Busy Search works fine - setup is quite straight forward and

testing it is easy. For users to be able to use it, GroupWise User need

access (http(s)) to the Webmail Exchange server - shouldn't be a

problem. From Exchange the access point is the same.

If there are firewalls between the system, they need some rules for the

Exchange Server to get access to POAs.

Long story short: We set it up back under 2012 SP2 and since it is

running without much work.

If you have specific questions PM me.

regards

Mathias

--

MFaust

------------------------------------------------------------------------
MFaust's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=17917

View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=497809
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

we're moving to o365 from GW, we use Quest's (Dell's) tools for this. This functionality is built in and works fine, however, we did have an issue in March of this year where MS updated something and the Quest tool stopped. Took getting MS and Quest on the phone at the same time to resolve it
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.