Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Groupwise Shared Calendars

Hi,

Our one Elementary School Principal created a shared calendar for the building and shared it with her staff. Since the school year ended a week ago, she was not going to use it anymore so she deleted it. Now the users are getting tons of emails in their mailbox saying that the calendar has been deleted. I know they should get one email saying this but they are getting a lot. The one user says shes gets 20 of them and deletes them and then a little bit later gets 20 more. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I just ran a Structure and contents check on a few of the users. I am not sure if that will help or not.

Thank,
Andrew
Network Administrator
West York Area School District
Labels (2)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Groupwise Shared Calendars

Another piece of information, The principal was on a different Post Office that most of her staff. Not sure if that made a difference here.

Andrew
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

I was looking at the log files and I am seeing a lot of these errors: Error: User not on post office [D101] I am not sure if that could be part of this or not. I don't know if something is in a loop or not.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hello,

Not sure if anyone has any ideas on this but I have a constant Busy Message Worker Thread if I look at the POA Website and the user ID is the Principal that deleted the shared calendar. Current Transaction says "Change Sharing", Accessing Store name says "msg0.db", and processing status is "running". This is constantly running busy on the new Post office and the old post office where users were. Not sure if this is causing it to just keep sending the emails or not. Over 7000 have been sent out over night.

Do you think I need to Rebuild the new Post Office database at all? If so, will it cause any issues? It looks like a straight forward process and simple task.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Andrew,

Just a few questions so that I understand the situation better.... was the Principal (the one who deleted the shared calendar) ever on the "other" post office where the users are? In other words, was the account moved?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Laura,

The Principal was in the "other" Post office, where all the teachers were, but I moved her to the new post office almost a year ago. I have just recently starting moving the teachers to the new Post office. Now I do not know when she created the Shared calendar, so I don't know if she created it when she was on the old post office or the new one at that time. I have a constant Message worker thread that is busy with her name and the current transaction is "Change Sharing". Not sure if it is in some loop or not. Do you suggest Rebuilding both post office databases and if so is that an easy process and how long do you think that would take?

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the information.

I would suggest that you start with the "new" Post Office, run GWCheck, from ConsoleOne with the analyze/fix option, select just Structure and Fix Problems. Note, you do NOT want to run both a structure and content check concurrently - that is why I suggest just doing a Structure check to start with. Ensure that under the Databases tab that both User and Message is ticked.

This should not take more than several minutes - depending on the size of your Post Office and speed of the server that it is on.

Also, please remind me, is the backend running on Windows or Linux?

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Laura,

Thanks, I will run this towards the end of the day as I assume this needs to run when users are not in or can it be run while users are in? Our post office is about 100 GB big, so not sure how long it will take. We are running Linux.

Andrew
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Andrew,

This routine can be run whilst users are logged in and working. Having said that, toward the end of the day is probably better in case the server feels the extra load!

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Laura,

I ran a structure check on the new Post office and above is the gwcheck log. It seems to have stopped as the gwpoa process on the old and new post office are not constantly over 100% like they were for the past 2 days. I will check again in the morning, but hopefully that resolved it. I also shut down all of our Groupwise services (post offices, MTA, Web access, GWIA) and restarted everything so all was refreshed.

Andrew
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the log and information. Do you run scheduled maintenance on your Post Offices, and if so, please may I have more information on that.

I've also found a problem in your GWCheck log file (stars in name inserted by me):

Checking user = JERaud***** (zjn / 167) 18626560 bytes, 06/18/14 16:45 (Jill Raud***** [])
- Current time 5:16:32 pm
STRUCTURAL VERIFICATION of database S:\wyasdpo\ofuser\userzjn.db
Verifying data
Error 22- Database check error: IO_ERR (0x8200)
Suggestion- Database file missing or invalid.
No direct recovery possible. Attempt to recover file from external backup.
If no backup exists, request explicit structural rebuild from Admin and the
database will be removed from Guardian database, to allow re-create.
However, all data previously contained in the database will be lost!

Was this user deleted at some point, or are they still active on this Post Office?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Laura,

It looks like the structure check did the trick. The emails have stopped and the log files look normal again. I run a structure and contents check once a week. The user that you mention there is still active on the post office and can access her mail as well. I noticed this error a month ago and was going to get her fixed up again this summer. She is a user who might not be coming back as well.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.