Commodore
Commodore

Groupwise loads a bunch of previously opened messages at login

I have one user, GW 18.2 client, who had her mailbox crash. When she logs back in, all the previously opened messages keep reloading, but doing anything with them causes them to crash the client.  In fact, doing anything in the client crashes Groupwise.  Clearing out the temp files of these messages (there are .HTM files and other things) seems to do no good, they just get re-created.  Also ran all the gwchecks for rebuild and indexing and attachments and still does not seem to resolve the issue.

She can use the web client and it's fine, it does not re-load those messages. So clearly it's a GW client issue.

Any way to stop those messages from loading each time she logs in via the client?  She's more than happy to delete them if she can, she said does not need them.

Kind regards,

Val

0 Likes
16 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Client or Workstation issue?  If she logs in on another machine does it behave?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@iliadmin 

Also when the user is in WebAccess, if she goes to the Work In Progress folder do these messages show there?  If so, she can delete them from that folder.  Does the windows client then behave correctly?

Pam

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

1. start the gw client with the /safemode switch.

2. find the messages and export the mimes.  Test opening these on other station of possible to confirm it's not just workstation related crash.  if consistent then open a ticket with MF support and provide the message mime files for dev to troubleshoot root cause and fix.

3. delete these from user mailbox.  

4. close and restart gwclient in regular mode (without the /safemode)

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@RaveNet 

thanks for that Rod.  I totally forgot about that switch!  Good thing we have you around!

Pam

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Wow!  Thanks for all these replies.

@bworkman:  not sure if it happens using a different workstation. She is remote, only has access to her office workstation.  I can figure out something to get her to another system when available.

@probello: I'll have her check her WIP file in web access and go from there with your recommendations if the messages exist there.

@ravnet - I, too, forgot about the /safemode option!  We will give that a shot as well.

Will report back and let you know what worked!  Thanks everyone!!

Val

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Maybe a Reset Client Options will help - maybe option "Continue where you left off at startup" causes this behavior ...

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Hey Everyone!

You guys are awesome, problem seems to be resolved!

Found out the cause.  She went into Web Access and saw and deleted the items in the WIP folder and then logged into the client and it still crashed the client.  So I connected to her system to get the mime formats.  I cleared her temps, then I watched her login and could see a message pop-up--from Auto Save, asking her if she wanted to retrieve all the saved messages , etc.  They were the messages that kept coming up whenever she logged in.  Ah ha!   So I didn't respond to the message initially. Instead I went into her settings and turned off the auto save and then told it do not ask me again.  She exited GW and went back in and it seems to be fine., no messages popping up, and she can open and send and work and no issues.

So what would make the auto save screwy like that?  She does frequently go between the Client and Web Access depending on her circumstances.  Could that have anything to do with it?  I think she also works with multiple messages open, too, which is likely why she was using auto save.

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Hi Diethmar:

Where is the setting "continue where you left off"?  I don't believe I have seen that.

I didn't think of doing the reset on the client options, though you just reminded me it's there!  🙂

Val

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

@iliadmin 

tools > options > environment.  it's existed for about 10 years if not longer 😉

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

No, not that long. I think GW2014R2 was the first version to support this features.

I love it!  I have opened my main window and then a separate window for my calendar. When I close and open my GroupWise my main window together with my calendar will pop up!

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Sorry, RaveNet. I must be blind as well  as dense as I don't see that in my Environment settings!  😉

Sometimes us regular folks don't need to do much with settings, hence not always being aware  of every single available setting there is in an application even it it has been around for ages. 

Good there's others who do know them all and can assist those of us who don't.

Thanks!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.