bendeichp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gwcheck subjectlist and subjectpurge

Hi Forum,

do subjectlist/purge act different with their filter?
What I did so far:
I let gwcheck delete many mails (over 4 million) for one user like described here 7003292. Luckily the most of them had a similar subject which I used like "subjectpurge=*blah blah blah*".
After many gwcheck runs alls seems to be better again.
But I noticed that the msg206.db of that user is still quite big. So I run a last check with subjectlist and figured out, that there are about 500k mails with subjects which matches the used filter. I run gwcheck with purge again but nothing more is deleted.
Even after I run gwcheck with structural rebuild, structure check, content check and reduce only...
Also did that with a standalone gwcheck on the server for the affected msg206.db.

FYI: it could be, that those are send messages. Subject inherits "FWD". Unfortunately after logging in with that user the send items only show about 7800 mails.Anyway, does the subjectpurge switch also purge send items?
If I do a search with the same filter in the client, it is not longer responding and running for ever...

Just in case if you suggest to restore the msgdb from the backup: that IS the file from the backup 😉

Some suggestions what I can do to figure out how to delete them?

Thanks,
Pascal

"Have you tried turn it off and on again?"
Labels (1)
0 Likes
13 Replies
bendeichp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Gwcheck subjectlist and subjectpurge

Hi,

additional information: gwcheck with statistics box ticked show a total item number of 69790 for that user.
Why can subjectlist find more that 500k mails?

Cheers,
Pascal

0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This happens because the POA goes nuts and delivers that message over and over and over to the msg database, with the same link in a user.db. It causes the message db to inflate, and so what you are seeing is not that unusual. So run the subjectpurge directly on the message database.
0 Likes
bendeichp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Danita,

if I use the standalone check on the msg206.db directly the messages won't be deleted either.

First I let run a check on the DB with SUBJECTLIST. The following entry occurs repeatedly while the part within "()" varies.
05/19/10 10:16 role_bi Wtrlt: Fehler in dataex-3.0.0 (some-string-with-minus) (Alarm)

So I used "SUBJECTPURGE=*Fehler in dataex*"
Which deleted not a single item.
What could be the reason why this don't delete anything?

Thanks,
Pascal

0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I assume you've actually run a straight structure and then contents GWCHECK just on this msg206.db file to try to fix any issues with the database itself? If you have, and you are still receiving this error, I do fear that the database is damaged beyond repair. Opening an SR with Novell might get someone to "look" at it, but generally Novell can only "fix" the post office or domain databases, and not individual message databases.

So, if you have not done so yet, here would be my next shot:

1. Run a standalone GWCHECK - structure - on msg206.db (put that in the "user" field).
2. Then run a standalone GWCHECK - contents on that msg206.db. If there are errors after the first run, run a second time to see if the errors were fixed properly in the first check. If the second check shows no errors, move on. Otherwise run it a third and last time.
3. If the database appears to have been repaired with the above, then run the subject purge.

If the database seems unrecoverable, then unfortunately, it probably is! And going back to additional backups (older than what you've done) might be required.

But an SR would at least get GW Support involved to see if there are any other options.
0 Likes
bendeichp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Danita,

your assumption is correct, I did already a standalone structure and then contents GWCHECK just on this msg206.db.
I can do it again and see if there occur any new errors... After that I would run the subjectpurge. If again no mail is purged, I would open an SR.

*sigh*

Thanks
Pascal

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Pascal,

I'm not too sure if this is going to be of use or not, but take a look at this TID: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7003292

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
bendeichp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

that's the TID i followed 🙂 Then the above occurred ...

Thanks,
Pascal

0 Likes
bendeichp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Forum,

I opened an SR and was told to let run the gwcheck with subjectpurge on the complete postoffice. Even if the subject list run only on one msgdb the mails could be in some other places.
Also I had to run the subjectpurge multiple time. Every time a portion of the matched mails were deleted. So far there are left some but it seems in the end the msg db was not corrupt, I only have to run the gwcheck multiple times on the whole PO.

Thanks,
Pascal

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Pascal,

Perhaps contact the person handling your SR and request that the TID on running this process (https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7003292) gets updated to reflect your findings e.g. that it has to be run on the entire Post Office.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
bendeichp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

thats a good idea. Unfortunately the SR is closed and I would have to open a new one just for that. Personal contact informations are not known.
But he said he will report the fact that I had to run checks multiple times back to development.

Thanks,
Pascal

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Pascal,

No need to open another SR. I will see what I can do from myside to follow up on the TID. Perhaps give me your SR number for reference?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
bendeichp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

sure, there you go: SR # 101000215121
Btw: your personal storage is exceeded. I want to send you the number via private message which was blocked because of that 😉

Thanks,
Pascal

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Pascal,

I've sorted out my mailbox - sorry about that 😞

Thanks for the SR number - I'll see what I can do about getting the TID updated.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.