Jesus Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

HTML email shows as large black box

Jump to solution

I'm trying to resolve an issue with HTML emails not displaying correctly in the GW client.

I've sent a similar email to two separate organisations, on on GW 2012 SP3, and the other on GW 2014.2.1, and both reported that the email looked like a black box as shown here:
https://postimg.cc/grNswgt8

The result is that the email couldn't' be read! But depending on the screen, there is faint lettering in the black rectangle.

I suppose it's something to do with the html rendering in the GW client because in all cases when I switched the view to plain text, the black box disappeared and the email was readable.

The emails looked OK when they are displayed in GW Web Access, Gmail and Outlook etc.

I checked the Options in the GW client but couldn't find anything that may help.

Has anyone seen anything similar to this? Is there any way to make the GW client render HTML to correctly read these emails?

TIA
- Gordon

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jesus Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: HTML email shows as large black box

Jump to solution
SOLUTION!

I checked over the html wrapper that was composing the emails and made a slight change to the table which was showing up as the black rectangle.

<table style="border:1px solid #dbdbdb; background:#fff;"

TO:
<table style="border:1px solid #dbdbdb; background:#ffffff;"

It looked a little odd to see the "fff", when most html colours are stipulated with 6 digits. Now Groupwise displays it correctly.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Hi Gordon,

I have not seen this issue before. But, as far as I am aware, the GroupWise client leverages Internet Explorer to do the HTML rendering. So perhaps take a look in that direction.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution
gordon mzano wrote:

> Has anyone seen anything similar to this? Is there any way to make the
> GW client render HTML to correctly read these emails?

Hi Gordon,

I have the same issue...

I happened on one external email I received and no other. I assumed it
was an issue at the sender's end until I checked and it displayed
correctly in Web Access.

My GroupWise client is:

Program Release: 14.2.3 2018-11-20
Build Number: 132453
Installed languages: EN

I'm running Windows 7 Pro, fully patched.

Perhaps this additional information will help resolve the issue.

--
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below this post.
Thank you.
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Jesus Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution
I've reset some html templates that were used to format the emails so hopefully that does it. Yet to get positive confirmation from the end users that reported the issue.

- Gordon
0 Likes
stelgenkamp
New Member.

Jump to solution
I have seen this too, but just 1 sender which had send via a newsletter manager.
you can still read the text inside the black square, by taking your mouse and selecting the text (inside the black)
Only this sender had this problem, so I did not give it much thought.
So I agree with Laura, it must be a html rendering thing.
0 Likes
Jesus Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution
SOLUTION!

I checked over the html wrapper that was composing the emails and made a slight change to the table which was showing up as the black rectangle.

<table style="border:1px solid #dbdbdb; background:#fff;"

TO:
<table style="border:1px solid #dbdbdb; background:#ffffff;"

It looked a little odd to see the "fff", when most html colours are stipulated with 6 digits. Now Groupwise displays it correctly.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.