Ensign
Ensign

Help upgrading gw2014 to gw2018

Jump to solution

I have been trying to upgrade my 2014 to 2018 for a while now and I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. So any help/tips/suggestions here would be appreciated. Not sure how much detail to include initially so please feel free to ask. I have deleted all the data from the new server and recopied fresh at least 5 times. I have done update DB copies countless times now. I have had it fuctional, all looked good. Had Web Access working, installed GWMS on a separate server and had it connected. All looked go so I did my final copy one night, and back to the BLOB c067 areas again.

Production: gw2014.02 on SLES 11sp4 VMware VM DB size Approx 320 GB
Built a new VM (on new hardware/storage) SLES 12sp5 GW2018.02
POA/MTA/GWIA/WEB Access all on same server. GWMS on separate VM

I can get the Install to work, but I get constant errors when the client connects. If it does connect, I get BLOB errors on messages. A lot of user accounts get “An unexpected error occurred c067” just trying to connect to the PO. But will never open the account.

These are the steps I do:
I have an NFS mount on my prod server named /newgw over to my new server /gwdata
On Prod server
chown -R nobody:nogroup /gwdata (if I don’t, the dbcopy fails)
dbcopy -m -d -w -t 10 -f /gwdata/gw8/ /newgw/domain
dbcopy -m -p -w -t 10 -f /gwdata/gw8/po /newgw/po.
(-s instead of –f for the subsequent copies)

On New Server
chown -R root:root /gwdata
run ./install.sh --select Install. After it looks for updates, I disconnect the NIC. (If I don’t it brings down my production GW, not good)
rcgrpwise stop (install starts the agents) then rcgrpwise start gwadminservice
new server IP/gwadmin-console/install - Get Authorize syntax
from console: gwadmin-ipc authorize [random characters]
then upgrade system from gwadmin console selecting domain and PO
rcgrpwise stop-- rcgrpwise start gwadminservice
log in and change the POA/MTA/GWIA IPs from the old server to the new server IPs
Do PO DB rebuild.
rcgrpwise start
All the agents start here. I double check IPs then enable the NIC.
Try Connect with gw2018 client

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I just run the following command on the source server:

rsync -avz -e ssh <source directory> <username>@<remote server>:<remote directory>

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums!
Don't forget to Like helpful posts and mark Solutions!

View solution in original post

30 Replies
Knowledge Partner

My first suggestion is to open a SR. They will connect to your system - it's easier to help if you see what's happening.

However my approach in most cases is a different one. I copy/move an existing GW to a new server without changing the version. So in case of troubles I have to fight the move only - not the new version. If my GW is up and running in the new environment, I will start to upgrade.

Nevertheless I had some upgrade situations similar to yours where I had to do two steps in one. (As already mentioned in other posts I prefer "rsync" because it's a lot faster than dbcopy).

Do not forget to check this: https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000019071

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
Ensign
Ensign

I had not considered loading GW2014 on the new server, then upgrading it.    Were you thinking that (based on the link you provided) the dbcopy may be getting corrupted somehow?  I have contemplated that before since I will do a wipe and then a fresh copy.  And still get those BLOB and login errors.  If I do a rsync, I assume the prod. GW will need to be down.  I might go ahead and schedule a late night outage and try it that way.  I need something different to try since I have been repeated, without success, what I am doing now.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

With rsync, the post office only needs to be down for the final sync.  Last time I did this, I ran rsync four times.  The third time it only took 11 minutes.  Then for the fourth (and final) time, I took the post office down and ran it again to be sure that I had all changes.  This method keeps down time to a minimum.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Knowledge Partner

@86gtconv wrote:

These are the steps I do:
I have an NFS mount on my prod server named /newgw over to my new server /gwdata
On Prod server

Your problem is that you have an NFS mount. There are file locking issues with NFS that can cause corruption of your production database while data is being copied not to mention unreliable copies. As far back as GroupWise 8 Novell issued a warning never to use NFS with dbcopy.

I discuss various issues in my article GroupWise Migrations – A Better Way

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
Ensign
Ensign

I deleted all of the previously copied domain/PO  data, Then used rsync instead dbcopy.  It Worked!  Mostly. No more BLOB errors or random users not being able to log in at all.  Yayyy! But, now my GWIA will not start on the new server.  Haven't had an issue with that yet so I am searching for a solution there.  Had some challenges with the options (thought rsync -av would be it but I got tons of permission errors) but settled on this:  rsync -rlptvD /gwdata/domain  /newgw/.  

To see why the gwia won't start I ran this:  ./gwia --show @/gwdata/domain/wpgate/GWIA/gwia.cfg

This is the errors I see:

Warning:
Name: file
Class: XmCascadeButtonGadget
Illegal mnemonic character; Could not convert X KEYSYM to a keycode

Warning:
Name: config

Warning:
Name: log

Warning:
Name: stat

Not sure what that means.  Any ideas!

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

rsync -avz worked for me.

I've never seen those errors on the gwia.  Is your new server properly patched?  All prerequisites met?  Anything corrupted in the gwia.cfg?

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Do you get the same result if you start your gwia with --home instead of a config file?

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

In your original post you say that you installed this "GW2018.02 --> perhaps confirm for us the actual version and build of GroupWise you have installed by using the following command on your server:

rpm -qa | grep groupwise

Many thanks in advance,

Laura

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

I agree to Ken. I prefer rsync -avz . For a 1:1 copy I add --delete. 

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

@86gtconv wrote:

I deleted all of the previously copied domain/PO  data, Then used rsync instead dbcopy.  It Worked!  Mostly.

I'm curious... Did you still use an NFS mount? 

While I prefer rsync to dbcopy, there are issues with NFS and I did not mean to suggest rsync over NFS would resolve the issues with dbcopy over NFS.

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Ensign
Ensign

When I use the  --home switch,  I get " Unable to process startup file 'gwia.cfg' "

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.