Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

High GW utilization with Mobility server

I have a GroupWise 2018 SP 2 system running on OES2018 SP! and a new GroupWise 2018 SP1 mobility server running on SLES 12 SP4.  The GroupWise server has 2 vCPUs on a VMware 6.7 server with latest patches.  I just moved to the new mobility server from an old one last week.  I have removed all users from the old mobility server and shut it down so only the new mobility server is running. 

In VMware when I look at performance of the GroupWise server, I see it pegged at 100% utilization for significant periods of time.  If I stop the mobility server service then the GroupWise utilization goes down to almost 0.

There are about 34 users in the GroupWise system and the server is not hosting anything else than the MTA, POA and GWIA. I am surprised to see such high utilization for such relatively long periods of time.  Is this normal?

Dan

Labels (3)
0 Likes
15 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

So the GMS box is new, and you didn't face this with the very same GW box (nothing did change there, right?) and the old GMS server. Which GMS builds did / do you have running? In the "Status" tab of the POA console, what do you see as "Total", "Busy" and "Peak" for "SOAP Threads"?

If you like it: like it.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

You mentioned removing the users from the old GMS server before shutting it down, but I wonder if there are events that didn't fully clear out.  Look in the POA monitor > configuration > event configuration list and make sure nothing is left over from the old GMS server.  If there are events and configs connected to the old server, delete them.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums!
Don't forget to Like helpful posts and mark Solutions!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Yes, I have been upgrading the system.  I had upgraded GroupWise to 2018 SP2.  The old mobility server was 2014.  The new mobility server is the latest which I believe is 2018 SP1.

The Total soap threads is currently 41, the current is 4 and the peak is 41.

Dan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks Ken.  I think you are on to something.  When I go to the Event Configuration list on the POA Console there are a number of events for users that are associated with the old trusted key.  (Why do they use the trusted key instead of the name of the server?  Luckily I created a new trusted key for the new mobility server and even more luckily i wrote down what it was!)

When I click on a user name associated with the old trusted key, I see a series of choices.  I assume I want to check the box to 'Delete Event Configuration', right?  When I do that and click submit nothing seems to happen and it doesn't return to the Event Configuration List but when I manually go back to the list, I see that the user ID is gone so I assume that is the correct procedure.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Dan,

I think there is another method that can be used, but I don't recall what it is off the top of my head.  What I did was check "Delete Events" and "Delete Events Configuration" for each old one listed.  It took a few minutes to get through the list, but it worked.  Once you get those deleted, you should see a difference.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Oh yeah.  Huge difference.  Some of the users kept popping back up with a couple events.  I deleted those events and eventually all the users connected to the old mobility server were gone.  Now my server utilization is down to maybe 10% and steady.  It was a huge change.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Dan

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Think you mean mcheck, which is the faster way for bulk operations. This one

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7024019

pretty much covers it. But all this wouldn't really explain that pressure decreased on downing the NEW GMS box. Unless, of course, the new one has the same IP the old one had (no-go, actually).

If you like it: like it.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Yep, that was the utility I was thinking of.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

So I checked again today and saw that some users again appeared on the Event Configuration List for the old mobility server (old trusted key).  They didn't have as many events as before.  I deleted them again.  The old mobility server has been shut down since yesterday btw.

Why do events keep coming up for the old mobility server?  Is there anything else I can do to prevent this?

BTW, the old mobility server and new mobility server have different IP's.

Dan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

After clearing old event notifications you need to do an immediate restart of the POA - did you do that?

Cheers,

Laura

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Dang, forgot to mention that!  Thanks @laurabuckley !

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.