stelgenkamp Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1522 views

Host down 450 'the sequel'

Dear Forum people,

Again I come for help.
After working for months, the 450 host down error has returned.
I have down nothing to trigger it, and this is honest, i was not even in the office.

So I have done some digging and I am reading 2 things : DNS and route.cfg

First I will descripe my setup
Groupwise 8 on OES 11
The box is NATted, so internal adress 192.168.1.7
Router is 192.168.1.1
External dns : user.ispname.com
External smtp : mail.ispname.com

Solution 1 DNS
I have placed the DNS server adresses of my ISP in both the router as the Groupwise box
This seems to work ok. I can telnet to mail.ispname.com on port 25

Solution 2 route.cfg
I have created the file and placed in it my external ip and ip of server
user.ispname.com [192.168.1.7]
( is the ip adress supposed to be in brackets ? )

Still I keep the 450 Host down error and mail will not send.
Any ideas ?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Host down 450 'the sequel'

If you telnet to that IP on port 25 and using smtp commands as shown below are you able to send mail or do you get an error?

helo <your domain name><enter>
response should be as follows
250 OK

mail from: <your Email Address><enter>
response should be as follows
250 OK - mail from <your Email address>

rcpt to: <recipient address><enter>
response should be as follows
250 OK - Recipient <recipient address>

data<enter>
response should be as follows
354 Send data. End with CRLF.CRLF

To: <recipient's display name><enter>
From: <your display name><enter>
Subject: <Subject field of Email message><enter>
<Enter you body text><enter><enter> . <enter>
response should be as follows
250 OK

quit<enter>
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
stelgenkamp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Host down 450 'the sequel'

Hello Laura,
Thanks for your responce.
I have telnetted from the groupwise box to the external mail host.
And Yes I can send a mail like this !
( so why can't groupwise ? )

What's the next step ?

Stephan
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Host down 450 'the sequel'

On 10/3/2012 11:16 PM, stelgenkamp wrote:
>
> Hello Laura,
> Thanks for your responce.
> I have telnetted from the groupwise box to the external mail host.
> And Yes I can send a mail like this !
> ( so why can't groupwise ? )
>
> What's the next step ?
>
> Stephan
>
>

display a snippet of your verbose gwia log
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Host down 450 'the sequel'

Hi,

you should configure the relay host with the ip adress of the provider`s
mail server
-mh=IP of mail.ispname.com

route.cfg is used if you want to use another server for some domains.
Yes ip adress is in brackets and end of line needs a return.

Hubert



>>> stelgenkamp<stelgenkamp@no-mx.forums.novell.com> schrieb am 03.10.2012

um
23:16 in Nachricht <stelgenkamp.5jvo4n@no-mx.forums.novell.com>:

> Dear Forum people,
>
> Again I come for help.
> After working for months, the 450 host down error has returned.
> I have down nothing to trigger it, and this is honest, i was not even
> in the office.
>
> So I have done some digging and I am reading 2 things : DNS and
> route.cfg
>
> First I will descripe my setup
> Groupwise 8 on OES 11
> The box is NATted, so internal adress 192.168.1.7
> Router is 192.168.1.1
> External dns : user.ispname.com
> External smtp : mail.ispname.com
>
> Solution 1 DNS
> I have placed the DNS server adresses of my ISP in both the router as
> the Groupwise box
> This seems to work ok. I can telnet to mail.ispname.com on port 25
>
> Solution 2 route.cfg
> I have created the file and placed in it my external ip and ip of
> server
> user.ispname.com [192.168.1.7]
> ( is the ip adress supposed to be in brackets ? )
>
> Still I keep the 450 Host down error and mail will not send.
> Any ideas ?

0 Likes
stelgenkamp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Host down 450 'the sequel'

Thank you Hubert and Michael,

Deleted the route.cfg file and changed the relayhost form dns name to ip adress.
Now the 450 host down error is gone.
However although gwia reports mail is being send, it is not arriving !
Also in the client message remains as undeliverable.
Below snipped of the gwia log :
10:41:23 656 MSG 87556 File: /media/nss/MAIL/groupwise/gwdom/wpgate/gwia/wpcsout/gwi696f/4/506d67d2.000 Message Id: (506D4BAB.B5F:211:4668) Size: 0
10:41:23 656 MSG 87556 Sender: stelgenkamp@mydomain.nl (changed )
10:41:23 656 MSG 87556 Converting message to MIME: /media/nss/MAIL/groupwise/gwdom/wpgate/gwia/send/x06d67d3.355
10:41:23 656 MSG 87556 Recipient: test@otherdomain.nl ( changed )
10:41:23 656 Switching link state to SENDING_ALLOWED.

10:41:23 656 MSG 87556 Queuing message to daemon: /media/nss/MAIL/groupwise/gwdom/wpgate/gwia/send/s06d67d3.355
10:41:23 192 DMN: MSG 87556 Sending file: /media/nss/MAIL/groupwise/gwdom/wpgate/gwia/send/p06d67d3.355
10:41:23 192 DMN: MSG 87556 Attempting to connect to 213.75.63.13
10:41:23 192 DMN: MSG 87556 Connected to [213.75.63.13] (213.75.63.13)
10:41:23 192 DMN: MSG 87556 Transferred
10:41:23 192 DMN: MSG 87556 SMTP session ended: [213.75.63.13] (213.75.63.13)
10:41:23 800 MTP: File sent: 506d67d3.001 Size: 640

So it connects and reports as send, but where goes my mail ?

Stephan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Host down 450 'the sequel'

On 04.10.2012 11:06, stelgenkamp wrote:
>
> Thank you Hubert and Michael,
>
> Deleted the route.cfg file and changed the relayhost form dns name to
> ip adress.
> Now the 450 host down error is gone.
> However although gwia reports mail is being send, it is not arriving !
> Also in the client message remains as undeliverable.
> Below snipped of the gwia log :
> 10:41:23 656 MSG 87556 File:
> /media/nss/MAIL/groupwise/gwdom/wpgate/gwia/wpcsout/gwi696f/4/506d67d2.000
> Message Id: (506D4BAB.B5F:211:4668) Size: 0
> 10:41:23 656 MSG 87556 Sender: -stelgenkamp@mydomain.nl (changed )-
> 10:41:23 656 MSG 87556 Converting message to MIME:
> /media/nss/MAIL/groupwise/gwdom/wpgate/gwia/send/x06d67d3.355
> 10:41:23 656 MSG 87556 Recipient: -test@otherdomain.nl ( changed )-
> 10:41:23 656 Switching link state to SENDING_ALLOWED.
>
> 10:41:23 656 MSG 87556 Queuing message to daemon:
> /media/nss/MAIL/groupwise/gwdom/wpgate/gwia/send/s06d67d3.355
> 10:41:23 192 DMN: MSG 87556 Sending file:
> /media/nss/MAIL/groupwise/gwdom/wpgate/gwia/send/p06d67d3.355
> 10:41:23 192 DMN: MSG 87556 Attempting to connect to 213.75.63.13
> 10:41:23 192 DMN: MSG 87556 Connected to [213.75.63.13] (213.75.63.13)
> 10:41:23 192 DMN: MSG 87556 Transferred
> 10:41:23 192 DMN: MSG 87556 SMTP session ended: [213.75.63.13]
> (213.75.63.13)
> 10:41:23 800 MTP: File sent: 506d67d3.001 Size: 640
>
> So it connects and reports as send, but where goes my mail ?


Not under your control. Ask 213.75.63.13 (or better, it's admin). 😉

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
stelgenkamp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Host down 450 'the sequel'

Thanks Massimo,

Indeed, after spending about an hour with several persons with the ISP helpdesk, they gave me a solution !
In stead of using their standard mail host, I now use a 'smart' relay host.

So the mail is sending again !
Thank you all for sharing your ideas and wisdom !

Stephan
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Host down 450 'the sequel'

Glad that you got it working 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.