Highlighted
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

How to move users to a new Mobility server

We want to move a group of users  (currently synced to Mobility through an LDAP group) to a new Mobility server running Sles 15 GMS 18.2.1. Current mobility server is  SLES 12 SP5 version 18.2.1 using self signed certs. The new server would be using a wildcard cert purchased from a CA.

So in the end, we would have two mobility servers, (an LDAP group for mobility users basically assigned to each server).. obviously the new server has new DNS name and IP. 

We use CISCO Meraki as an MDM if that matters.

What is the less painful way to migrate to the new server for both myself and end users? 🙂 Just not sure how to approach this one.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@squartec 

Hi,

Firstly, on your new server, I highly recommend you make use of a GroupWise group and not LDAP - LDAP is going away in a future release of GMS.

Create your GroupWise group and add the necessary accounts to it. Add the group to the GMS server and wait for all the accounts to sync fully. Point those users to your new server (you say it has a different DNS name). Once their devices are all pointed to the new server then gracefully remove the user accounts from the old server. After having done so, you don't give an indication of how many users are involved, take a random sample of the users on the new server and run an mcheck on the user accounts to ensure that they no longer have event keys pointing to the old server. If they do it's easily remedied with mcheck.

Cheers,
Laura

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
Highlighted
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Thanks Laura.

Are there any issues with using  wild card cert?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

PMJI, but I've always used a wildcard cert with GMS and never had an issue.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums!
Don't forget to Like helpful posts and mark Solutions!
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner

As @ketter mentioned there should be no problem. I have several customers using wildcard certificates.

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
Highlighted
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

@laurabuckley 

We have edirectory groups that are associated to a  Groupwise PO , therefore in the GW system. If we configure GMS using GroupWise groups can we use these edirectory groups that "pushed" to the GroupWise system? (will GMS recongize them?)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner

In my experiences - yes!

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.